Middle schoolers know absolutely nothing and I want to step on them

"I mean if she wants to come, that's cool, I guess."

"Hello?" I say after I pick up the ringing landline in my room. 

"Thank god you answered," Rodrick's voice comes through the line grainy. "I need your help."

I sit down on my back, making sure not to tangle the white chord. "Mhm?"

"Remember when my mom called me at the lake a few days ago?" I send another noise of reassurance. "Well, she practically told me and my younger brother, the one who ran away screaming about us in the garage, that we weren't able to go to the water park."

I chewed on my mint gum, trying not to laugh at how child-like his voice was when he was happy. "Which sucks, sure, but I get the whole house alone for a few nights."

I finally got what he was putting down. "You're throwing a party?" His silence was enough to know it was a yes. I smiled a bit. "Why do you need my help?"

"I just need you to help me set up," His voice kind of lost some of that happiness.

"Why can't Ben and Aiden do that?"

He went silent for a few seconds. "I need someone to do my eyeliner," He corrects. Now it was my turn to go quiet. "Hello?" He regained some of that snarkiness in his tone. 

"I'll be there in ten."Before I leave, I tell Cliff where I'm going and that I'll call him what time the party is so he can be there. I grab my eyeliner as I shut my door behind me, walking out of the Hills' house. 

-----

My knuckles pound on the heavy red door four times. I waited awkwardly outside until the gentle click of the lock unlocking shuttered the handle. I thought I heard someone say something about locking someone in the drier but I decide not to ask. It opened soon after, revealing Rodrick. He wore a beige jacket over top of a black shirt. 

"People should be getting here soon so we need to hurry," He said and I nod, pulling out the stick of eyeliner. 

"Do you really not know how to do your own eyeliner?" I scoff out a short laugh and he rolls his eyes in annoyance. 

"Over here," He says, leading me to a brown couch in a living room that's been strung with the same kind of Christmas lights that are downstairs in the band room. I sit on the couch and cross my legs as I wait for him to sit. 

He places some water bottles on the table in front of us before he sits. "Who all did you invite?" I stall because I'm not sure how exactly I'm going to do this. If only I could use a long stick to put the liner on.

"Anyone who wanted to come," He responds.

"Heather?" I ask, trying to keep my voice at its normal pitch.

He shrugs awkwardly. "I mean, if she wants to come that's cool, I guess," I saw the hint of a smile form on his lips and I wanted to wipe it off. "You gonna do this or what?" He quickly changes the subject.

I nod. "How do you want me to do it?" I ask, hoping he'd thought this through. 

"You're the one who knows how to do this, not me," Rodrick answer, being no help as usual. 

"Face me," I tell him, deciding to rip off the bandage. He does what I tell him to do, throwing his legs on the couch as well so he can compeltely face me. "Close your eyes." His eyes flutter shut. 

I brace my wrist on his cheek, suddenly selfconcious about how I smell. His eyes flinch a little as I start to apply the black liner underneath his eye first. Once I make it dark enough, I move to the top, making it as even as possible.