Chapter 7 - See Under the Mask

Future Kakashi was being followed. That was the first thing that Minato noticed once he gained his bearings well enough to be sensitive to his surroundings. Yet future Kakashi didn't seem to be all that concerned as he languidly strolled down the street with his hands tucked into the pockets of his shinobi pants.

When future Kakashi rounded the corner, three figures streaked after them.

Kids. That might have explained why future Kakashi was so relaxed, although it didn't explain why three kids were following him. And one of them was his son, Naruto.

Naruto was at the head of the group, back pressed against the fence. Slowly, he inched his face forward to peer over the corner. A pink haired girl was behind, standing on her tippy toes in an effort to see over him while the dark haired boy craned his neck as far as he could.

"There's an Uchiha!" Obito shouted, pointing at the back of the dark haired boy's shirt. Sure enough, the Uchiha crest was displayed proudly on the back of the blue shirt.

"Didn't the Uchihas die in the massacre?" Kakashi murmured to himself.

"Perhaps not everyone died," Minato speculated. "This kid couldn't have been that old so maybe he was spared."

A frustrated shout escaped Naruto's mouth as he marched out into the street. Throwing his hands up in the air, Naruto stalked back to the Uchiha's side, getting right up in his face.

"Sasuke, it's all your fault!" Naruto exclaimed. "You shouldn't have made so much noise."

Sasuke rolled his eyes, while crossing his arms over his chest. "Dobe, if anyone was being loud, it was you."

The pink haired girl intervened, stepping in to separate the two of them. "Hey, cut it out! If we want to see Kakashi sensei's face, we shouldn't be arguing. We need to come up with a better plan."

"I'm a sensei?" Kakashi said, disbelief present in his voice. He looked like he couldn't decide if he should be horrified or excited at that fact. Probably leaning towards the former if Minato knew his student. After all besides being skilled, Kakashi's qualities were the furthest thing from being suitable to become a jonin sensei.

Okay, but people change. Maybe future Kakashi did change for the better.

Meanwhile, Obito bursted out laughing. He was laughing so hard that he doubled over, cradling his stomach. Through his bursts of laughter, Minato could make out a couple of words. "Kakashi...sensei...joke."

Kakashi had enough of Obito's antics and socked him in the back of the head. "At least this means that I made it to jonin."

Obito stood up, making a big show of pretending to wipe nonexistent tears from the corners of his eyes.

"Those kids are so unlucky to have you as their sensei!"

"Now, now Obito, I'm sure Kakashi will be a great sensei in the future." It was times like this that Minato realized how much he had taken his female student for granted; Rin would always be the first to step in so that Minato didn't have to.

When Kakashi's team was finally done planning, Team Minato followed after them. Minato had to admit that it took them an awfully long time to track down future Kakashi; they had gotten bored of trailing after a group of genins and went searching for future Kakashi instead.