T W E N T Y - T H R E E

Hours have passed and we had officially lost sight of the boys. I hadn't heard from Rafe at all which I found odd considering even when we were just friends with benefits he always found time to check in with me throughout the day. I don't let it bother me much though, because for the first time in a little while I was having a girls day with Sarah and I began not to care where or who Rafe was going to be out there with. "Have you heard from Rafe?" Sarah says, pulling me from my thoughts. 

"No, I'm sure they're just caught up" My lack of concern for my boyfriend sent a look of one to Sarah's face. 

"You and Rafe doing okay?" She says, questioning me further. 

"I'd like to think so, he's just been weird. Like aggressive and always has to be sexual towards me, especially in front of everyone else." Which wasn't a lie in the slightest. In all the years I've known him, he's always been so gentle and private. This wouldn't be the case anymore and I hadn't figured out what to think about it. 

"Do you think maybe he's back on the stuff?" She pushed on; the stuff being cocaine. The eldest Cameron had struggled with it in recent years, though he swears he's a clean man now.

"I mean he swore to me last night he was clean again, said your dad had paid off Barry." I felt as though I was trying to convince myself more than trying to convince Sarah as this conversation continued. 

"Paying off Barry I believe, but i'm not so sure about the 'Rafe being clean' part" And as she speaks I try to start connecting the little dots in my head. Could it have been Barry that Rafe was up texting last night? Was that why he had to lie to me?

"I'm not trying to scare you Mads, I just was trying to figure out what would make him act like this towards you now. I mean knowing what I know now...  I don't usually speak highly of my brother, but I know if anyone will make him a changed man it would be you" She began to ramble following the fact I hadn't responded to the blonde. 

"It's okay Sarah, I was just thinking. I know I-I don't like forcing you to listen to our problems, but last night he was up late and when I woke up he pretended he wasn't still up texting. Then eventually he admitted that Kelce was out at a party..." I trailed on. "The only issue is I overheard them earlier and Kelce said he was in bed when Topper called him to come get him... HOURS after Rafe and I had been up" 

I watched the hopeful look on her face falter the more I explained to the story. 

"Mad's..." She started, but I stop her before she can continue.

"I am not gonna lie to you Sarah, I've been convinced all morning it's Emily again and even if he' s back on that stuff, I'm sure she's not far behind it like always. I thought maybe I was just being crazy but now I don't know what's worse, the person I love so much- even though they literally have kept me a secret all these years- being back on drugs" I sucked in a harsh breath as Sarah stood up and began walking towards me, arms outstretched. " Or if it's worse that he could be out there right now entertaining his ex bitch, while I'm here in my own world just happy that he finally noticed me for more than just a friend." I practically whispered out the last part, defeat all laced in my words. 

Sarah's arms now wrapped tightly around my body, pushing my arms straight down at my sides. 

"Maddie, I- I honestly don't know what to say" 

But instead I just stood there. Sarah's arms still wrapped tightly around me as I finally allowed myself to shimmy my arms around her too; my unspoken way of saying thank you to her. 

A cool breeze sent shivers up my arm as Sarah removed herself, wiping a tear I hadn't realized had fallen. "Can we go hang out with the pouges?" My voice more confident than I was anticipating.

"Of course, I'll have John B come by and get us" 

It took about 30 minutes for John B to get to the country club, in the meantime Rafe and the boys had finally made it back to the club house. It was short lived though when Ward demanded they go back to TannyHill on the premise that the boys were 'So drunk they couldn't walk' in the words of Ward Cameron. 

"Babyyyyyyyy" he yelled, stumbling his way over. 

"Yes?" Annoyance leaking off my voice.

Throwing his arm around my shoulder and pulling me in before he uttered "Come back with me" though Ward beat me to my response "She will stay with Sarah, you can go home and sleep this off Rafe. Now!" he boomed, causing Sarah and I to jump slightly at the bass that echoed in his voice. 

The blonde headed boy met me with a lazy kiss, making it only on half of my mouth before walking off with the others in the direction of the Cameron Family car, leaving Sarah and I alone once more. John B arrived shortly after honking for us to get in before we made the drive back to the cut.

 It's times like these I was thankful I had packed normal clothes, throwing on my oversized Nirvana shirt and my high waisted denim before tucking my country club attire deep down hidden away in the depths of my bag. I never was one for dressing up but when you live on figure eight everything you wear becomes the talk of the club. 

"Dude, I swear! He was down there at Barry's and I had to go pay dad's shit off dude. He was all 'I need a fix' and Barry was all like 'nah fuck you and your dad, country club' and then he ended up paying A LOT up front and Barry gave him the shit" 

I could hear John B and Sarah trying to shush JJ as he rambled on outside, Pope, Kie and JJ had been out on the boat when we got here and they had yet to know I was standing on the other side of the door; Inches from where JJ just confirmed what I now know to be true, my boyfriend was back wrapped up in the drugs I've fought so hard to get him away from.

JJ's face dropping when our eyes met. 

"Fuck" he curses, dropping his head.

"Yeah, you fucking idiot, we tried to tell you" I saw a new side of John B when he snapped. I knew all eyes were on me and I understood why, If I just would've listened to them in the first place I wouldn't be in a relationship that is spiraling out of control. 

"Maddie, I didn't know you were here" JJ's words soft, taking small steps to the bottom of the stairs I was currently still standing on. 

"I kinda caught on to that when you said 'fuck'" I laughed, sending him a small smile. 

"You're not mad at me?" he questions 

I sent him a look before continuing "Why would I be mad at you J? You didn't do anything wrong, if anything I should be thanking you" I say while reaching him at the bottom on the stairs, wrapping him up in a hug "really all of you" I continue, as they all shoot me a sad smile. 

"Enough of this sad shit, I just wanna have a fun evening, guys. A evening to not worry about anything."

And that was what we did. Though we did talk some about the fire that was taking place tomorrow night, we mostly sat around laughing at all the dumb stuff JJ had gotten himself into recently. A few sorrow filled moments and most importantly lots of love among friends. 

One thing weighed heavy on my mind though, I still hadn't heard from Rafe. 

_____________________________________________________________________________

Hey guys! 

Hope you're still enjoying, all feedback is appreciated!

Don't forget to vote and comment! 

-B