Jun 22 | Magical Idioms [CLOSED]

Hi Friends and Fam,

AmbassadorsUK, WattpadFriendsandFamil and WattpadPotterverse have teamed up in honor of National Best Friends Day (8th June 2022) to bring you Magical Idioms.

PROMPT

One day, you find out that your friend is a witch/ wizard from the Potterverse. How do you react? What happens next?

We challenge you to use ONE British idiom from the options below to write a magical story about your witch/wizard friend(s).

(An idiom is an expression which does not make sense from its words alone, but must be learnt as a phrase)

The Idioms

#1 Full of beans

To have a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

#2 Throw a wobbly

To become angry or upset. He threw a wobbly when he found out his flight was delayed.

#3 Throw a spanner in the works

To cause something to not go as planned.

#4 Chuffed to bits

To feel happy or pleased about something.

#5 That takes the biscuit

To be especially annoying, surprising, etc. or to be the worst or best of its kind.

You may also consider the following international English idioms:

#6 A blessing in disguise

Something that seems bad or unlucky at first, but results in something good happening later.

#7 Better late than never

When you think that it is better for someone or something to be late than never to arrive or to happen.

#8 Break a leg

Used for wishing someone good luck, especially before a performance.

#9 It's raining cats and dogs

Something that you say when it is raining heavily.

#10 Speak of the devil

Something you say when the person you were talking about appears unexpectedly.

Take inspiration from one of these British idioms to send us your short story.

(All definitions are sourced from the Cambridge Dictionary)

*

SUBMISSIONS

The submission form will open on June 12th, 2022 and will close 23:59 PM June 26th, 2022 (U.K time). If you want to join us in Magical Idioms, please read the Guidelines below, then submit your entry in the comments section of this chapter.

*

GUIDELINES

Word count: Your entry should fit within the character limit of one comment on this chapter.

It must be posted in its entirety in the comments section of this chapter and tagged with #MagicalIdioms and the # number of the prompt you are using.

1. Your entry must have themes based around friendship/ the Potterverse and should use one of the idioms presented earlier in this chapter.

2. Your story can be based in any time period as long as the selected prompt is met.

3. You must write a new story, specific to this contest.

4. Stories must adhere to Wattpad's Content Guidelines .

5. Writers from all over the world are welcome to apply, but submissions must be in English.

6. Multiple submissions are allowed. However, you can only win with one of your submissions.

7. Please pay attention to punctuation, spelling and grammar.

8. Tag your comment entry with #MagicalIdioms and the # of the prompt that has been used.

Deadline for submission: 23:59 PM June 26th, 2022 (U.K. time).

Maximum character count: 2500 characters.

→ You must submit your entry directly in this chapter's comments section. You are welcome to publish the story as a new story on your profile as well, however the full entry must be typed, tagged and posted via the comments section below to be valid.

*

CONTEST PRIZES

Winner(s) will receive a shoutout and - if desired - a slot in the our anthologies.

Good Luck!

Please note, this contest and its rules are the creation of a team of Ambassadors (volunteers) and is in no way affiliated with Wattpad or its staff. Judging of said contest is entirely run by its creators and is not the responsibility of Wattpad or its staff. We reserve the right to refuse entries to this contest that we feel do not meet the required criteria, that are unsuitable, or potentially triggering. We are not obliged to give any feedback relating to entries, and any given is at our discretion. Please note that the decision of the judges is final, and that abusive language or behaviour directed at the Ambassadors, the profile, or the judges, will not be tolerated and may be reported to Wattpad's Trust and Safety team for their inspection.