ch. 3 - the first goodbye

Mandy's family always took trips to Utah. Every holiday, summer, 3-day weekend, and break. Mandy grew to hate it. Everything their family talked about connected to eventually moving there. Her dad owned a company that he had been trying to sell for years. He always said that once he sold it, they would all move to Utah, but it had been years since he made that promise and Mandy thought she was going to be able to finish high school in her hometown before they moved. A couple years back, her parents bought a vacation home in a small town, and that is the house her parents are planning to live in. When Mandy heard the news, her heart sank deeper than an anchor. Her biggest nightmare came to life. 

Mandy: "WHAT?!?!"

Mandy's Dad: "It's true, kiddo. We're finally getting out of California. We can leave this crummy town behind."

Mandy's Mom: "We can celebrate all of this excitement at dinner! So now what was your good news to add to the pile?"

Mandy: "This can't be happening; I CAN'T MOVE!"

Mandy's Dad: "We thought you would be happy about this. We've started packing already and plan to be fully established in Utah by the end of July."

Mandy: "But I have to finish out my senior year! I have a life here, with friends and huge successes! I've been building up my goals to THIS POINT."

Mandy's Dad: "Well, I'm sorry but you're going to have to set those things aside because we are not wasting another year here." *Mandy's mom nodded in agreement* 

Mandy: "HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT?!" *Mandy started to tear up and ran to her room*

Mandy ran down the hallway and made her way to the door of her room. More tears welled up as she stepped inside. She shut the door behind her and took a moment to scan the room. She started at her desk and admired the small dent on the edge; it was from the time she and her dad were using a hammer to put a frame on the wall, and she dropped it. She then made her way over to her closet. It had many stickers on the drawers: some half-scratched off or super faded. She always regretted putting those stickers on at such a young age because they were nearly impossible to fully get off. Seeing all of the small details that made her room unique made her reflect on all the good times. After a few minutes of just looking around (still crying), her phone was buzzing. She checked it, and was reminded by the many messages that she was elected president, and could no longer fulfill that position she earned. She had no idea how she was gonna break the news to everyone. 

*A week later: Lily's Summer Kickoff Party*

Mandy did not want to go to the party. It was her time to start saying goodbye, and she always hated goodbyes. She knew her parents wouldn't budge if she asked to let them stay for her last year, and they had already started to pack up the house. Nevertheless, she kept her promise and picked up Emily to drive them both to Lily's place. Noah greeted them both as they stepped out of the car. 

Noah: "Hey Madame President! *Mandy's eyes widened for a moment* You guys made it just in time; the pizza just got here."

Emily: "Wow, there's already a lot of people here!"

Noah: "Yep, our whole senior class showed up!"

*Emily continued to head inside, but Noah pulled Mandy aside*

Noah: "Whaddaya say we get some pizza and go shoot some hoops out back?"

Mandy: "Sure" *she tried to force a smile the best she could

They got some pizza and made their way to Lily's backyard, where there was a pool, basketball hoop, and ping pong table. A lot of people were already in the pool and encouraged them to go in, but Mandy didn't bring her suit... and definitely didn't feel like going for a swim.

Noah: "Hey are you okay? You seem off."

Mandy: "Huh? Yeah I'm good."

Noah: "Oh okay well... I wanted to ask you something." 

Mandy: "Sure, go ahead."

Noah: "Well I know we ended our... relationship last year, but I think we've been in such a good place recently and I was wondering if we could..

Mandy knew where he was going with this and panicked. Now was not the time for this. She had to tell him before anything got out of hand. 

..maybe try again and get back togeth-"

Mandy: "I'M MOVING"

Noah: "Huh?"

Mandy: "I just found out last week that my parents finally sold their company and we're moving this summer."

Noah: "Oh my-"

Mandy: "I'm sorry I-"

Noah: "NO no no it's okay. I'm so sorry for you. I can't imagine what you must be going through. But, before you go, I want to make clear that I am always gonna be here for you, no matter what. Whether you're a minute away, or 5 hours away, I hope we can still be... buddies." 

Noah wanted to be more than friends again, and Mandy knew that. Her heart ached for him and wished it didn't have to be this way. He embraced her and they just took this time to be with each other, as friends.