ch. 5 - new beginnings

*a week later*

The first day of school had arrived. Mandy's stomach was tossing and turning. She wasn't sure what to expect, mostly because she had never been to the school before. It was going to be embarrassing enough because she had a student guide to help her through the first day. Her old school did that too, and she remembered the times where she met new students, and made them feel better about their first day. It was an ASB thing, which made her miss her school even more. All she could do was hope that her guide today was nice, and that it wouldn't be a train wreck. She tried her best to put that aside from her mind, and head out. She wore a casual pink dress for her first day, with white vans and a pearl necklace. It was simple, but still classy. She wanted to represent herself well, because as mentioned earlier, the way she carried herself mattered to her. 

So she took off in her Range Rover, and made her way to the school. Mandy really didn't want to stand out, and her car was not helping that. There was no local Range Rover dealership in their new town, so there were little to no other Range Rovers on the roads. She finally pulled into the driveway and found a decent parking spot. She was fairly early, so the parking lot was not completely buzzing with people yet. She took the opportunity to head inside early, and find some of her classes. 

Mandy began to walk into the entrance and saw the bright blue sign that read: 

CLARENCE HIGH SCHOOL - Welcome back, Cobras!

Mandy's thoughts: "Cobras? That's the mascot? How embarrassing. Here we go I guess."

Mandy was planning on going into the front office first, but since she was early, she wanted to look around for a few minutes. She was surveying and gazing down the halls. As she wandered around, she saw foreign faces which all gave her peculiar looks. Most cracked a little smile, but it still felt pitiful to Mandy. There were quite a few buildings, but luckily she managed to locate a few of her classes within the first 10 minutes. She looked down at her phone to check the time and saw that she had 15 minutes before school started, so she made her way up to the front office to see if her guide was there. Finally, she stepped inside. 

Office lady: "Oh hello! You must be Amanda."

Mandy: "Yes, it's just Mandy though."

Office lady: "Alright then, your guide is in the other room, I'll bring him in! Oh and also, welcome. If there's anything you need, you can ask me or your guide!"

Mandy: "... thanks" *she forced a smile and tried not to feel embarrassed*

Suddenly, the office lady came back in, followed by a spruce-looking young man. He looked an awful lot like Hunter. It clearly wasn't him, but Mandy couldn't help but think about him. One of the huge problems with this new city was that a lot of the boys looked the same, and they were all Mandy's type (which looked like Hunter). She pushed those thoughts of him away and tried to focus. The office lady then had to take a phone call, so the boy stepped forward towards Mandy. 

Dominic: "Hey, I'm Dominic, it's great to meet you. I'm your guide for today, and I can't wait to get to know you more."

Mandy: "Oh, hi. I'm Mandy, and... thank you for doing this for me."

Dominic: "Of course. Here, let's head out and get to class."

He started walking out of the office and Mandy followed along. She thought he was cute, but didn't want to get involved or anything, especially on the first day, so she kept quiet. She felt like a hopeless, wandering toddler. 

Dominic: "So, we have all the same classes, which means you're stuck with me all day haha. *Mandy laughed along* So.... are you nervous?"

Mandy: "Haha, very. Is it obvious? It's a little embarrassing."