Chapter 7

"Man, that mission was boooring!" Naruto complained loudly as he walked down the streets of Konoha, turning and looking over his shoulder at his teammates who were walking behind him. Sakura to the right wearing a sleeveless version of her usual clothing, Sasuke with his hands casually in his pockets to the left and Kakashi was trailing behind, reading his precious Icha-Icha as usual. "I mean seriously, nothing happened. We just stood around the whole time."

"We know, we were there." Sasuke responded dryly, though inwardly he agreed with his teammate. He was hoping for an opportunity to test himself, but none had arisen since Jiraiya's test a few weeks ago.

Sakura shook her head at the blond. "You shouldn't complain because we had an easy mission, or are you hoping for a repeat of what happened in Wave?"

Naruto placed his hands behind his head. "No nothing as extreme as that, I just wish something exciting would happen, you know? Even something as ordinary as attacking a bandit camp."

"Don't worry. The exams are right around the corner. I can guarantee you'll see plenty of excitement soon enough." Kakashi said to the blond before looking over all his students. Almost as if on cue, he heard the call of a bird. Tilting his head upward, he saw said hawk flying high over the village. He stared for a few moments before turning back to his team. "Well, I need to go submit the report for this mission. You guys don't need to come along since it was so uneventful. See ya." With that, he vanished in a burst of speed.

Naruto broke out in his trademark grin as he looked to his fellow genin. "Great! Then how about the three of us go and celebrate another job well done?"

Sasuke scoffed and turned away. "Not interested." He said as he began to walk home.

"Come on, Sasuke." Sakura stepped forward. She may not fawn over him anymore, but she still wished to be with him. Besides, she wanted to let him know that they were there for him. After all, that was what a team and friends were for, right? "Would it really be so bad to get a bite to eat with us?"

"..." Sasuke closed his eyes and seemed to consider it for a moment before turning and resuming his path to his clan's compound. "I have better things to do."

Sakura watched the retreating figure of the object of her affections before sighing. She'd hoped that after learning how beneficial teamwork could be, he'd be more willing to let them in. Naruto watched her for a moment before stepping forward and placing a hand on her shoulder, getting her attention. "Don't worry; I'm sure he'll lighten up someday."

"Yeah." Sakura replied, brightening up. "So, where do you plan to go? Ichiraku's?"

Naruto shrugged. "Nah, I know most other people wouldn't want to go there all the time. How about..." he began he heard something behind him. He turned to see a square rock with eye holes approaching him from behind, coming to a stop the moment he turned. The young Uzumaki sweat dropped. There were only three individuals who would attempt to sneak up on him with such an obvious disguise. "I can see right through that disguise, plain as day. Come out of there you three, I know it's you."

With that, the poorly disguised box was lifted up to reveal Konohamaru and his friends, Moegi and Udon. The grandson of the Hokage crossed his arms and looked up at the Rinnegan bearer. "Just as expected from the man I chose as my rival."

"Hey guys." Naruto greeted before his expression became slightly curious when he noticed what they were all wearing. "What's with the goggles?"

Konohamau reached for them with a wide grin. "We're copying off of you, boss!"

Moegi took a step forward. "Are you free right now? You promised to teach us something cool today."

The blond slapped his forehead. "Oh right, I completely forgot!" he then turned to his pink haired teammate. "Sorry, Sakura! I kind of promised them. Rain check?"