Chapter 19

"Winner: Naruto Uzumaki!" And with that, cheers erupted for the battle they had just witnessed. Among the Konoha citizens and shinobi, many had begun to reevaluate their opinions of Naruto, his comment about his mistakes and how it affected him, as well as his control of the Kyuubi's chakra and good sportsmanship, giving them a bit to think about.

Naruto looked up in amazement. He wasn't used to having such large numbers of people praise him, not to mention that many of them were the same villagers who'd been cursing his name not too long ago. He smiling widely before returning his attention to the task at hand and carrying Lee over his left shoulder to where the medics who called to him in the stands since the entrance to the arena was currently a few feet underwater.

"Great show, kid!" Anko yelled, standing up with her hands funneled around her mouth.

"Well, I hadn't expected to see all that here." Haku commented. "I wonder if that chakra was connected to..." He trailed off, and those in the know guessed he was referring to the Rinnegan.

Zabuza, knowing what he was talking about, shook his head. "Nope, that was something else entirely... and together... that kid might just grow into the strongest shinobi since Hashirama Senju and Madara Uchiha."

Gai stared at Lee as Naruto handed him to the medics.

"Gai?" Kakashi said, drawing his attention, but he didn't look away. "While I still disapprove of you teaching him that jutsu... thinking on it, I can understand why you did. He's willing to give his life for his dream... isn't he?"

After a moment, Gai replied, "Yeah... that's the kind of guy he is." He turned to his rival and said, "That's one hell of a team you've got there, Kakashi."

Kakashi eye-smiled. "I know. I'm quite proud they've come this far."

"Well... that was certainly a striking opening for this year's exam, wouldn't you say?" The Kazekage turned to his counterpart.

"Oh yes. I knew those two wouldn't disappoint." The Third replied with a smile. 'You've grown a great deal, haven't you Naruto? "This should prove to be an interesting opportunity to see our Genin's capability to adapt. They now have to deal with an entirely different battlefield. I wonder how some will turn this to their advantage."

"Indeed." The Kazekage nodded. "Although, I must say this is unfortunate. This is likely the worst possible terrain for our most prized genin; Gaara to fight in... from what I understand he made quite the... spectacle, during the preliminaries. I can't help but wonder if this was intentional."

Hiruzen smiled fondly and shook his head. "I wouldn't put it past Naruto." He then turned to his counterpart. "So, what was your opinion of the two combatants?"

"Hmm..." The Kazekage began contemplatively before beginning. "The older boy, Rock Lee was it? He's certainly skilled with taijutsu. I've only seen a few others his age that can compare to his abilities in that art, but I notice a distinct lack of ninjutsu or genjutsu. If I recall..." He looked to the Hokage. "Would I be correct in assuming that he is incapable of using nin or genjutsu, or at the very least has no talent in those fields?"

The Third Hokage sighed, leaning back in his chair. "Yes. Sadly, he in unable to apply chakra in an outward manner. It brought him no end of ridicule in his academy days."

"That alone would have prevented him from becoming a shinobi in our village. I myself mandated that all aspiring shinobi who are found to be so limited are to be dropped from the program. After all, is our ability to wield the various ninja arts not part of the reason we are called ninja?"

The Third frowned at those words, believing any who had the heart and the desire to fight for their home and loved ones had the right to at least try at it. "But..." He continued. "I think perhaps I may have been a bit too hasty, after seeing what that boy is capable of. Nevertheless, the words he spoke before his final maneuver cement my judgement: 'I will not be the only one who loses here'." His gaze went to the two genin, Naruto just leaving to return to his teammates. "While the willingness to take such risks and make a sacrifice when needed are important traits for a shinobi, to do so when there are alternatives isn't. He was too hasty to use something as costly as the Eight Gates, never mind that he opened so many. I can't in good conscious recommend him for promotion."