The Prison

Chapter One

The afternoon air had been cooler the week the world fell into chaos. Autumn was settling into the country and Aisha was happy about it. The girl was seated on a bench in the park listening to music and drawing something meaningless in her sketchbook.

Dogs and owners walked through the park rather quickly not liking the chilling air. Sighing, she looked up from her sketch which looked like a large tree with blowing leaves. Out of habit, she looked down the hill and towards a large fenced area, no doubt her father was inside.

It had been almost a year since she had seen her father and she was counting down the days until she could see him again. Her eyes unfocus slightly when she sees the tendrils of hot air escaping her mouth. Out of childish behavior, she breathed out a few times imagining herself as a dragon in some far land and away from this life.

She almost jumped in fright at the sudden alarm from her phone. She grabbed the phone and swiped the alarm away then packed up her book before leaving the park and towards the prison.

On purpose, she walks on the fallen leaves feeling satisfied at the crunch beneath her boots. Smiling to herself, she turned up the music on her phone and walked a little faster to the prison.

Five minutes later, the girl arrived at the large, imposing, red building and an face to face with a rather serious-looking officer looking through his list.

"Hello, I'm here to see Hans Akkerman." She says to the man who nods and looks her over. She was definitely beautiful in an exotic way, her brown curly hair coiling in many directions around her heart-shaped face. Big light brown eyes with noticeable black specs caught the warm light turning her eyes into honey.

Her body structure was always complimented on, even more than she liked. Curves in all the right places from what she supposed she got from her mother from pictures she had seen. Her height was not on the tall side or the short side, she had a strong well defined back. But she did have soft layers on her stomach.

"Passport and documents for visitation." Giving him the neatly folded papers already in her hand, she shuffled on her feet feeling a little intimidated. The man nodded at her after inspecting her passport then she buzzed through the door.

She already knew what room she had to meet her father in because she had been there every week on regular Friday afternoons. It wasn't like her father made a terrible crime, quite the opposite actually her father had been charged with selling illegal car parts.

Hans had a steady job fixing vehicles, however, he had been caught installing illegal car parts. Thus now he was in prison, a fifteen-minute walk from her own home.

Aisha walked into the cantina area where she immediately spotted her father slouched in his seat, in bright orange overalls and an incredibly messy head of brown curls. Without waking him, she crept into the seat opposite him and studied her father closely.

He didn't look like how she'd expect someone who was in prison to look. No, instead he had a curtain glow to his face. No sight of eye bags or fatigue was shown in her father's eyes. Perhaps he was slightly underweight but not incredibly noticeable unless you were looking for it.

She watched as he groaned and shifted in the uncomfortable metal chair. His eyes briefly fluttered open and she smiled when they widened and smiled at her. Big honey eyes met her own brown eyes and she smiled at them.

"Hello, father." She teased and his smile widened, exposing a dimple on his right cheek. He leaned over and laid his large hand on her head patting it down softly.

"There is my pretty daughter. Did you grow since the last time I saw you?" He says in a rather deep voice. His accent wasn't American like everyone else around here, no his accent was pure Dutch. After all, they had moved to America three years ago after her mother had left them, and now it was just the two of them against the world.