The Sickness

Chapter 6

Aisha POV

>>Small time skip<<

It had been two days of staying inside and doing nothing but stare at reporters on the television, discussing the virus. It had spread across most of the country and it made people turn crazy...

Scientists were giving theories on what could have caused the virus but none were straight facts. No cure for something no one knew about. The virus would turn aggressive within five hours after they had been infected, it seemed to spread by direct contact with blood.

Apparently, the infected were also known to consume their victims and this has me shaking to my bones.

I sit in my room staring out the window wondering for the hundredth time if my stranger was okay. Koda was his name? I wondered if he was okay and if he made it out of the house safely.

A knock on the door makes me jump from my daydream. Chase enters the room his face pale and worried. "It's the news..." without another word I stand up and we quickly make our way to the lounge room. Once we run down the stair I spot Maria cuddled up on my brother's lap with tears running down her cheek. Candy sat on another couch looking as if she was about to faint.

Mike and Oliver both sat with stiff posture looking at the tv. Finally, my eyes take in the scene images on the tv.

A helicopter hovering over the capital city, the city was burning... I gasp bringing my hand over my mouth as a second image flashes. Dead people littered the streets and some of them moved even with life-threatening injuries. It was how they were moving. As if rabid, a man is seen chasing a woman who screams for help, the camera angle following the woman intensely. The man caught up to her running at full speed and leaped on her back biting into her shoulder.

There was no scream as another reporter, this time on the ground is running for his life as a large group of rabid people run after them.

"It's a nightmare..." I take in a deep shaky breath. For once I was happy that our house was so far from the city. But never had ever felt as unsafe as I did at this very moment. A thought struck me as I remember the book in my room. Was this a zombie apocalypse?

My attention focuses back on the screen as a very obvious rabid person takes off down the street with a missing arm.

No way, this couldn't be happening... It's just not possible.

"Zombies...?" Everyone turns their heads to see Candy.

"Listen we don't know anything about these infected people... but as far as we know they are literally killing and eating people," Aaeiden says looking at each of us. A cold chill runs down my body as I think about the people I care about in the same situation.

"We have to get out of here... we got to get.." I mutter to myself.

"No, we need to go find the authorities! We need people to protect us." Maria says, her scared pitchy voice like nails on a chalkboard. My teeth clench and I turn to her. But before I can hit her with plain facts and a few less crazy options, Oliver speaks up.

"She is right... But that would mean we would have to head into the city." He says and the group silences. I desperately wanted to lay out my plan to them but my mouth remained closed.

"What about our families? I got my mother and little sister back home..." Mike says and we turn to him.

"Yeah, and my mum hasn't stopped calling to ask if I'm safe... You guys saw the girl that dropped on my lawn." Candy says and I grimace. It was at her house that we had potentially seen our first zombie. Luckily her parents were currently on holiday in Hawaii for a week.

I bite my lip nervously looking at Aaeiden. Our dad was still in prison. He looked at me with the same worried expression, one I wasn't familiar with when it came to our father.

"What do we do...?" Candy asked and we all just look at each other.

"Split up. We need to go make sure our families are safe and stay with them." Oliver says standing up from the couch and snatched his phone from the table. But before he could walk out Mike stops him by grabbing his arm.

"We only have two cars Oliver, it's best if we stay together who knows how many of those things have already taken over our city? Aaeidens house seems like the safest option right now." Mike says looking at Oliver with a serious expression.

Oliver hesitates and sighs before nodding.

"We should gather supplies and put them in the car... incase we have to make a quick escape it's better if we have some amounts of preparation." I say and I hear the group agree.

"Water bottles, food, weapons, medical things are a priority right now so let's all grab as much as we can. My dad keeps a shotgun in the garage..." I walk into the kitchen as I talk and I hear the rest get up to look for things. I grab water bottles and begin to fill them with water, Candy helps me with gathering food and putting it all in a bag.

After a hour of finding useful items, we assemble back in the lounge room to stare at the tv once more.

"I completely forgot about the huge tent dad bought last summer... that might come in handy." "Yeah I also found some random tool boxes, medical bags and military grade knives. Aaeiden your dad is like a hunter or something?"

Candy and I turn to see Chase and Aaeiden walk into the room.

"Our dad did many camping trips with us and his best friend. So we have a lot of equipment to survive in the wild." I say. I couldn't help but think about how it would undoubtedly be safer to escape into the woods just until things blew over.

I knew I wasn't the only person thinking the same thing, I mean we watched walking dead!

"Evacuate the cities! The zombies have taken over 20% of the country we urge everyone to not make any contact with the infected. All fire arms are permitted!-" the room becomes silent as everyone sits on the couch again.

"We have reports of China, South Africa and France completely over run with zombies." The reporter says looking at the camera with wide scared eyes as she talks on the desk.

"Scientists discover that the infected are incredibly sensitive to sound but their vision is weak. We hope this little information may aid you in the surviving until military action is taken."

My brother switches channels to see a military suited man holding a rather giant gun in his muscular arms. The background around him is a mess of other soldiers running around yelling commands.

"Hitting vital organs seems to kill them such as the heart and the brain, however if a non vital organ is targeted the infected don't stop trying to attack. Everyone who hears this, do not be fooled that knocking the infected out will be effective. Aim directly for the heart and for the skull."

Well fuck.