Chapter 3 - Michelle

Wyld Times, Episode eleven

Bruce is almost entirely enveloped by a giant green snake that coils around him in fat loops. He laughs and says to camera, "So this big bugger is a Green Anaconda – the world's heaviest snake, even if he's not quite the longest! These guys love to subdue their prey by squeezing the life out of them – just like being married, hey, darl?"

Michelle stands beside him, a much smaller snake entwined in her fingers. "Hey! Be nice!"

He laughs and says, "Shell and I met at a fund raiser in Sydney. She took one look at me and she was a goner. It probably helped that I was hiding a python in my pants!"

"He's talking about this guy," Michelle rushes to explain, holding the little snake up for the camera. "Eddie was Bruce's favourite party trick to carry around and pull out when he wanted to scare people."

"Educate, love, I wanted to educate people. Eddie is an Australian Green Tree Python. He's from the rainforests of Cape York Peninsula in far north Queensland, and he and his buddies are under threat because of smuggling for the pet trade.   Anyway, three months later after I showed Shell the snake in my pocket, we were married, and then we put our heads down, our bums up, and got to work opening the sanctuary. It's pretty amazing when you think about it – I was just a broke kid who loved animals when I met Shell, and you, darl, you were finishing up at business school. If I hadn't swept you off your feet, you'd be some boring corporate chick by now!"

Michelle smiles, looking at Eddie who is winding his way around her arm. "Isn't it funny how a whole new life can suddenly wrap around you?"

"Mum? Dad?" I call out as I enter my parents' house, kicking off my shoes so I don't damage Mum's pristine snowy white carpet.

"On the balcony, darling!"

I follow Mum's voice through the formal entrance, past the sitting room with its twelve-foot ceilings and double-sided fireplace. My parents are sitting on the broad balcony that wraps around their beachfront home, but they both spring to their feet when I step through the folding glass doors.

"My girl!" says Dad, hugging me against his bulky belly. He's the jolliest man I know; with the twinkling blue eyes he's passed onto me, he plays Santa every year for the local kids.

"Hi, Dad."

I embrace Mum next, holding her slight, scented form. I try to let go, but she squeezes me tighter. "No, an extra ten seconds please. A hug of strength and endurance from me to my favourite daughter."

"Only daughter," I correct, submitting to the extended cuddle.

"And my favourite one." She finally finishes the hug and releases me. "We haven't seen you all week, poppet. What's going on?"

Shrugging, I walk over to the well-stocked drinks trolley and pour a strong gin. "Just the usual. Kylie hates me, I spend my days dealing with animals, I don't have a life. You know, same-same."

I see the look my parents exchange. "Michelle, you know that you're not a prisoner. No one is in control of your destiny except you," says Mum slowly, as if by phrasing the well-worn words in a new way, they'll suddenly have more meaning.

"And you know that that's garbage." I sit on the cane lounger and stare out to sea, avoiding the pain on my mum's face. "I am a prisoner. It's a gilded cage, but I'm not getting out any time soon."

For so many reasons. I slurp at my gin, waiting for the alcohol to ease the lump growing in my chest that feels like a malignant tumour.

Dad tries next. "Sweetheart, if you feel like you can't get out, how about inviting someone in? There's plenty of handsome young men around town who'd love to court you."