Chapter 4

"It's not fair, Alfred, It isn't fair." Dick uselessly cried into the grandfatherly arms of the butler he knew so well. "I hate him sometimes. I really do." Alfred rubbed slow steady circles on Dick's back. "Master Richard, you know that's not true. You and Master Wane just have a bit of a ... complicated relationship right now." Robin begin nibbling at the tip of his thumb. Suddenly remembering his old pacifier, as a new wave of tears was brought to the surface. "My- my- gift-" He refused to say the word pacifier, even to Alfred. "The gift that you got me- was- it was in the beelllt." He sobbed. Alfred only continued his strong steady circles on Dicks back, offering him a tissue with the other arm. "Well then, that's nothing you and I can't fix." He smiled gently. "Puck up, young master. This is just an excuse for an early birthday present. Or shall we say, a late birthday present considering we missed your last one?" Robin sniffled, wiping away the remaining tears.  "M'sowrey Alfred. M'really am. Just had to get away  from this place. Ya know?" He blew his nose with the tissue, ridding himself from the last reminder tears had occured. Alfred smiled, reassuringly. "I can assure you, Master Richard. I know exactly  how that feels."

    And as it turns out, loosing Dick's pacifier was one of the best things that had ever happened to Dick. Because this meant Alfred insisting on buying a ten pack of new pacifiers (just in case) along with a new blanket and stuffy for emergencies. And Dick was beyond grateful. "Thank you, Alfred. This really is too much." "Dick, for the hundredth time, you are welcome." Robin's eyes widened upon hearing the nickname. "I shall have no young child of mine, out and about in the world, without the use of the necessary precautions." He said it so matter of factly, Robin smiled. Alfred would never make fun of him for his coping mechanism. He was the one person he could rely on without the fear of 'making it weird' for Dick. "Yes, but ... thank you anyway." Again, if Mr. pennyworth was less of a classy man, he would have rolled his eyes at that. "You are welcome, Master Richard. You are very, very welcome."

Flash Forward To Slade's Layer

    Slade wasn't just angry, he was down right pissed. How could he have been so foolish as to let a bunch of meddling teenagers outsmart his plan? He slammed his fist into the table in front of him, the sound echoing off the walls of the underground bunker. "Slade, please refrain from breaking the furniture. You know I had that specifically brought in today." An old man stood in the corner of what appeared to be a make shift kitchen. "You don't understand, Wintergreen. Those stupid children saw through my plan. My  plan! I don't understand it." The old man simply smiled, caressing the small white beard on his chin. "Perhaps Robin has grown smarter than we originally anticipated." There was a pause and an empty silence filled the air. "Do you really think so?" Wintergreen hummed, nodding. "Yes, I do believe the young boy has improved greatly simply by fighting against you, all this time." Slade smiled, the anger from before slipping away. "Yes .... Perhaps he has." The tension from Slade's shoulders slipped, the smile from before turning into a smirk. "Still, we have one advantage still." "Your genuine  genius plans?" Slade rolled his eyes, sending Wintergreen a look. "I kid, Slade. What 'advantage'?" Slade smirked, slipping his fingers around the belt, that laid in front of him at the table. "I'm afraid we have stumbled upon Robin's little secret."