6

Two Singles Walk Into A Bar And...

                                   ♡♡♡♡

She'd always been a lightweight.

It didn't matter what we were doing, if there were drinks involved Leila would be in bed by twelve-thirty and not a minute after. She hated to drink for that reason; she always thought she was much too boring for a night out but she was quite the opposite.

In the few short hours, you had her for she went absolutely wild, too wild to leave unsupervised. Of course, she never remembered her antics in the morning and I never reminded her of them. I made sure no one else did so either. She was always safe when she was with me so there was no reason for me to ruin her fun by telling her just how unmanageable she really was when she was inebriated.

"Is this too much?" She lifted her hands up before turning to the mirror to inspect her outfit once more.

"You look great, now can we go?" I attempted to feign annoyance but that was far from the emotion surging inside of me. What word would you use to describe someone as breathtaking as Leila? Her beauty was effortless, always has been. She was the kind of woman that didn't need much makeup or fancy clothes to stand out but even with the two, she was stunning.

"I think I'm going to bring a jacket, I'm sure it's cold in there."

"Just leave the jacket, you can have mine if you get cold."

She turned to me and shrugged before running her hands up and down her dark wash jeans. I was starting to regret asking her to go out with me tonight. All eyes were sure to be on her and I wasn't one for sharing. I was probably going to have to fight off the entire bar for her attention but she would hardly notice because she never noticed the effect she had on people.

"Well alright then, I guess I'm ready to go." She walked up to me and stopped just a few inches away. She reached her hands up for what I thought was a hug but instead she fixed the collar on my shirt.

"My mom always has to do this for my dad," she laughed.

"Mine too," I replied.

She cleared her throat and took a step back, "I hope Charlotte doesn't mind repetition."

Her name being brought up happened to be the only time I thought about her all evening. It also reminded me that I owed her a phone call, which I was for sure going to regret after taking so long.

"Fuck, give me a minute Leila I have to give Charlotte a call."

She frowned before plopping down on the couch, "okay, but if I'm asleep by the time you're ready blame yourself." I took the car keys out of my pocket and threw them to her, "wait in the car, I'll be out in five."

It took a few tries before I was able to get Charlotte on the phone. She sounded tired or preoccupied so I apologized for disturbing her. "It's fine, I was just taking care of something. Why'd you call so late?"

I checked the time on my phone to make sure I wasn't mistaken, "Char it's only eight-thirty."

"Yeah, I know but eight-thirty in the middle of nowhere is different than eight-thirty here in New York. Are you getting ready for bed?"

I sighed, "uh no I'm going into town for a little bit."

"Why?" She sounded disgusted.

"What do you mean why? To give me something to do. What am I supposed to do just stay inside all day?" I used to find her distaste for anything other than luxury charming but these days it was only nauseating.