12

Two Singles Walk Into A Bar Continued...

                                 ♡♡♡♡

He wasn't that funny. Nothing Jeremy ever said was ever that hilarious but Leila was laughing like he was selling out shows—best comedian near the East Coast. I couldn't remember the last time she'd laughed at something I'd said like that. Something so funny she was holding her stomach and trying to catch her breath.

Even the smile on her face seemed foreign to me. Whenever her eyes met mine they always seemed to be sad, worrisome.

"So Jeremy, what do you do for Issac?" She questioned sipping on her sparkling water. She was serious about not drinking tonight and I found her embarrassment a little cute.

"I'm essentially the company's fixer-upper. If there's a problem I handle it discreetly. All my other time is spent at my firm."

She quirked a brow and leaned in encouraging him to say more, "I'm an attorney and I just recently upsized my office space. New people on board and such so we need bigger rooms."

She had that look. The same look everyone sported when Jeremy told them what he did for a living. He was so unserious no one could ever believe his profession but he studied hard and earned every certificate he got. The massive Jackass.

"Wow, that's really impressive. Well, congratulations on your new space, it's great your firm is growing." Leila flashed him a smile, most of her teeth were showing and she seemed genuinely happy for him. I scoffed and downed the rest of my drink.

"You good man?" Jeremy turned to me with a knowing smile. I narrowed my eyes and relaxed when I saw Leila peeking over his shoulder. She looked nervous. I didn't want her to feel like she couldn't be friends with Jeremy and God forbid if she found out I was jealous. I swallowed hard and tried to push the stray emotion where the alcohol was going.

"Yeah, I'm fine. We should start heading out soon, don't want to be late for the showing."

Jeremy checked his Rolex and clicked his tongue, "we still have some time. Besides, I want to hear all about Leila's run in with the she-devil."

"Jer," I warned.

"Who's the she-devil?" There was a slight hesitation in her tone.

"Charlotte Lewis."

Her face dropped and she glanced at me. When we were younger she used to hide behind her hair whenever she was uncomfortable or scared. Her mother eventually cut it taking away her preferred method of concealment but she just traded it for another tactic.

Laughing.

She'd suck in her bottom lip to try to hold it in but she couldn't help herself. She was doing that now, trying to stop herself from laughing. She was doing it throughout the dinner Charlotte pressured her to attend and she was doing it right now.

"Oh, you shouldn't call her that." She took in a deep breath trying to pull herself together. Of course, she could have just thought the comment was funny, that wasn't lost on me but the way she pulled at the back of her hand told me otherwise.

"You don't know her. She came into Issac's life just to age him forty years," he laughed into his glass.

"That isn't true, Charlotte she...she—" She looked at me expectantly her eyes deep pools of chocolate. I forgot how easy it was to get lost in them.

"Oh, would you look at the time? We have a show to get to." Jeremy hopped up taking Leila's hand in his, "I'll hold your hand. God knows what kind of animals are out there just waiting to get the chance." She giggled and shook her head but didn't hesitate to take his hand.