5. Like Teenagers

"So remind me, what does this test actually do?" Jay asks, stepping backwards and leaning up against the wall of the bathroom, looking over at Hailey standing at the sink.

Hailey doesn't look up from her task at hand. "It tells if I'm ovulating." She replies.

He quirks his eyebrow up despite the fact she couldn't see that. "You have an app on your phone that does that and that way you wouldn't have had to pee in a cup."

She places the strip on top of the paper towel she had laid out and picks the said cup up, taking it back over to the toilet and dumping the contents inside before staring up at her husband as she throws the cup into the trash. "That's just a prediction, this is hormones and crap, it will be a little more accurate." She says and then makes her way back over to the sink to quickly wash her hands.

Once she's done with that she travels back over to where her husband was standing, stopping right in front of him and wrapping her arms around his waist, pulling him in closer.

He tilts his head to one side and subtly looks over at where Hailey had left the test before meeting her gaze again with a hint of curiosity in his eyes. "And how long do we have to wait for this one?" He wonders.

"Five minutes." She says and he bobs his head in return.

They both fall into a silence and look over to the bathroom counter for a beat, staring over at the small test they could just about see on top before they look back at each other simultaneously, and a dumb grin grows on both their faces without having to say anything. The two of them stare at each other before Hailey shakes her head slightly.

"We're crazy." She whispers softly.

He quickly nods along with her, but it doesn't falter the smile on his face. "We're out of our minds." He says.

Jay then leans his chin down and puts his lips against hers, kissing her once, twice, three times before he pulls away again and leans his head up, kissing her another time on her forehead instead.

"We really are doing this, huh? We're gonna have another baby." She mumbles.

He smiled wider, even though he wasn't sure he was able to at this point. "Yeah, we are."

Hailey watches him for a moment, at the way his eyes lighten up slightly at the mention of having another kid and it sends her mind wandering.

It felt a little ironic in a way. Before Macie was born, the two had never discussed having kids, it had never come up properly until Hailey found herself pregnant. Then after everything that happened, the shooting and the weeks their daughter spent in the NICU, they agreed to be extra careful moving forward because at the time they couldn't have another baby, especially not when Mae was still so young and dependent on them. They were cautious even when they didn't need to because despite how much they loved their daughter, despite how little they would change about the surprise addition, they weren't sure if they even wanted another one - after everything Macie had gone through while still in the hospital, they didn't want to have to witness that all again. And one forgetful night while on a weekend trip away, Hailey found out she was pregnant again. After Alfie was born, the two had said they were done, that they were happy with their family as it was, yet the conversation was brought up again days before their son's first birthday when Hailey realized she was late.

And even though that test turned out to be negative, it sparked the conversation of if they wanted to have another baby. Right before Alfie turned two, they made the decision to throw out the prevention method for good, seeing where the universe took them and the rest is history.