6. The Case

"That was better today," Hailey says as she climbs back into the truck, pulling the passenger side door closed with a small bang and reaching for her seatbelt. "There was still a few tears but he actually made it into the classroom before that started, and he got distracted pretty quickly when another kid came up and told him everything is okay and asked if he wanted to play." She adds and in the corner of her eye she spots the smirk that pulls up on the corners of Jay's mouth.

The last week had showed massive improvements in terms of Alfie and school. He had moved days around so he was at school the first three days of the week, rather than three days in the middle, and Thursday and Friday he was going to daycare. Since the switch, and because he was going into school on the quieter days, he had really started to open up to the idea of being somewhere he didn't know. He still found it hard going in, especially after having the weekend off, but it was getting to the point now where he'd be going in without a hitch by Wednesday morning.

Jay switches the ignition on and pulls the truck into drive as Hailey clicks her belt into place and sits back into her seat. With a quick turn of the wheel, they drive out of the parking lot and turn on to the main road, heading off in the direction of the district.

While keeping his eyes on the road, Jay speaks up. "He'll get better, I mean he's done so well in a week already."

Hailey nods a little. "Yeah, I know, it still sucks though seeing him get upset, even if it is only for a minute." She replies.

Before Jay can say anything else, the radio placed inside one of the cup holders goes off, a familiar voice filling the cab of the truck and both it perks both their ears up as they listen to the call.

"Units in the 21st district and units on the citywide, Robbery in progress, 222 South Riverside Plaza, responders be advised reports of masked and dangerous offenders on site."

Jay sends a quick look to Hailey over the console and that was all she needed to see before she moves forward, grabbing the radio into her hands and raising it up to her lips.

"50-21 Henry, hold us down to that Robbery in progress, we're five blocks away."

"Copy that 50-21 Henry, holding you down."

Jay switches the button on the lights sat overhead them and puts his foot down on the gas pedal, spinning the wheel around and making a U-turn at the intersection and going back the way they came as Hailey leaned back into the back, grabbing the vests from under the seats, handing Jay's one off to him as she strapped her one over her chest.

They arrived two minutes later, the truck coming to a sudden stop right outside the building as Jay threw his vest over his shoulder. They jumped out from the cab and both took the guns from their holsters, making their way toward the bank.

Six feet from the front door, a security guard ran out, flagging them down.

"There was three of them, I couldn't see their faces. They cleared out the front safe, most of the vault too."

Hailey lowers her gun down slightly. "Are they still inside?" She asks quickly.

The security guard shakes his head frantically. "No, they took off maybe a minute ago, I didn't see the car."

Jay moved his hand up and presses it against the radio in the vest, holding down the button on top. "50-21, we're on the scene of the Robbery in progress, offenders have fled in an unknown make or model, set up a perimeter around 222 South Riverside Plaza."

"Copy that 50-21."

A muffled scream from inside the bank could be heard on top of the confirmation over the radio and it makes Jay and Hailey look up fast and make their way toward the building, guns drawn again. Once inside they quickly search the lobby, Jay leaning over the desk to check behind as Hailey rushes over to the other side of the room where the shouting had come from.