11. Thinking Ahead

By the end of October, Hailey had returned to work full duty following her injury at the beginning of last month. She had ensured with Jay she wouldn't push it too far as her ribs were still healing but it didn't stop him from keeping her close to sidelines if Intelligence broke a big case. She let it slide, knowing he was only doing it to prevent her for making the injury worse as it was starting to get better, and he had been easing off slowly the more time she spent back at work. Six weeks following the robbery case, it was now just the normal daily reminder to stay safe when out in the field.

The last month had been uneventful on every front. The only moments that reached out some kind of interest were when Alfie caused his parents to reevaluate their decision to listen to their son when he requested privacy while using the toilet because they weren't out the room a second before he had gotten himself stuck in the toilet seat, when Macie brought home a cold from school that then quickly passed through the rest of the house and spread throughout their close friends, and when Hailey got the notification through on her phone during her lunch break that her period was supposed to be starting in the next few days.

Which is how, five minutes before her break was due to end, she felt her shoulders slump with disappointment as she looked down at the negative test sat on the counter top. She found herself staring at it, part of her hoping that if she kept looking at it she would catch a faint line she missed prior, but her gaze had been locked on the small screen for a few minutes now anyway so the logical part of her brain was telling her if a second line was going to appear, it would have minutes ago.

So she just picks the stick up and wraps it up in toilet paper to avoid it being spotted by the next person that would step inside the bathroom before throwing it in the trash under the sink. She washed her hands before leaving the restroom, peering around the corner briefly and moving away from the door, making her way back out to the bullpen. Everyone was gathered around the board when she returned so she joined in behind them, making sure not to cause an interruption on Kevin as he gave a run through of the latest lead on their current case.

When everyone disperses with their individual tasks, Jay steps over to Hailey on his way back to his office, silently asking her if everything was okay. She forces a smile and nods her head so as not to arise suspicion with their colleagues dotted around the bullpen.

"It was negative." Hailey whispers and she can't help but notice the way her husband's face drops slightly despite him trying to hide it.

They both stand there for a beat before Jay pulls his lips into a line and steps away, returning into his office and Hailey turns around, making her way to her desk and sitting herself down, pulling the chair from under the desk as she reboots the computer after it's break, beginning the task the officer had given her.

As her eyes skim over the hundreds of words on the screen, she props her elbow up on the desk, rubbing her eye before letting out a sigh, dropping her forearm against the wood as she reads what was in front of her.

This wasn't the month either.

xxx

It was nearing midnight by the time they wrapped up for the day. The officers make their way out first as Hailey stayed behind a little longer, finishing up the document she was working on before logging off the computer, getting up from the desk and making her way to her husband's office, who was just powering down his monitor.

He looks up and meets her gaze from his desk, a hook appearing in his eyebrow. "Are you sure you're okay?" He questions as he gets to his feet.

Hailey knows what he's referring to immediately and she sends him a slow nod. "Yeah, I'm fine."

Jay seems to let it go for a beat, stuffing something into the desk drawer before grabbing his jacket from the back of the chair, putting it on as he rounded the desk, closing the distance between them. When he reaches her, he wraps his arm around her, bringing her in for a hug. She doesn't hesitate, instantly bringing her hand up on to his shoulder as she sinks into his frame, feeling that same right feeling come over her as a somewhat shaky breath falls from her chest.