Glossary

Blank: A learned skill which suppresses one's emotions. Alternatively: a mental condition in which one is born with a lack of or lessened emotions. Used by Felix to refer to people that he can't read.

Bright Soul, The: A soul that is bound to the Core. It appears in the form of a huge, roaring flame, according to Nivean mythology.

Cennín, Aiko (Seh-neen Aye-koh): Princess of the kingdom of Niveus, soon to be crowned queen. The only child of the previous King and Queen of Niveus. She is said to be cursed with a power that will destroy the five kingdoms if it is ever unleashed.

Cinere (Sin-air): Aiko's supposed seer/lady-in-waiting.

Common Tongue (also referred to as Common): A language shared between all five kingdoms, widely accepted for ease of communication. It is the most spoken language in Katoei.

Ember Core, The (also referred to as the Core): A mysterious gift left behind by the phoenix god of Nivean mythology. It sustains the magic of the Niveus kingdom.

Felix (Fee-licks): An assassin from the kingdom of Furvus. He possesses a unique condition referred to as a "blank."

[Felix's master]: A mysterious man who raised Felix to become an assassin. According to Felix, he died several years ago. However, he still holds a strong influence over Felix's actions.

Furvus (Fur-vuhs): One of the five kingdoms of Katoei. It is located in the southernmost part of Katoei. Capital: Dena.

Furvian (Fur-vee-ahn): The language spoken in the kingdom of Furvus. It is reserved only for scholars and wealthy individuals nowadays.

Ienaeus (Aye-en-ei-us): One of the five kingdoms of Katoei. It is located in the northernmost part of Katoei. Capital: Sekil

Ienae (Aye-en-ei): The language spoken in the kingdom of Ienaeus.

Katoei (Kah-toe-ei): The world of the five kingdoms—Niveus, Furvus, Kileus, Theus, and Ienaeus.

Kileus (Kee-lee-us): One of the five kingdoms of Katoei. It is located to the east of Furvus. Capital: Acoran.

Kilean (Kee-leh-ahn): The language spoken in the kingdom of Kileus.

Konn, Ameris (Koh-nn Am-err-is): Current regent and head advisor of the kingdom of Niveus appointed by Aiko's late parents.

Kou (Koh): A nickname given to Felix.

Mae (Mah-ey): A white cat with striking blue eyes who lurks around Cinere and Aiko.

Niveus (Nigh-vee-us): One of the five kingdoms of Katoei. It is located to the north of Furvus. Capital: Crocea.

Nivean (Nigh-vee-ahn): The language spoken in the kingdom of Niveus.

Nova (No-vuh): Another assassin from Furvus. Easily recognizable due to the massive scar on her face.

Phoenix (Fee-nicks): One of the magical creatures from Nivean mythology. They are revered as a kind of god-like species due to their ability to resurrect themselves from their ashes.

Soul Flame (also referred to as a person's "flame" or "the fires of the soul"): The essence of a person's being—their lifeforce, or soul, which appears in the guise of a flame—according to Nivean mythology. There are three known types of soul flames: the Bright Soul, a normal flame, and a weak flame.

Sylva, Dinah (Sil-vah Die-nah): Queen of the kingdom of Furvus. She commissioned Felix to assassinate Aiko on the grounds that the princess is a threat to their kingdom.

Theus (Theh-oos): One of the five kingdoms of Katoei. It is a small island off the coast of Kileus. Capital: Lumes.

Theanic (Theh-ahn-ick): The language spoken in the kingdom of Theus.

Weak Flame: A trait which reflects the state of one's soul. It usually represents a loss of one's humanity, often through the action of taking the life of another.