19 || Tell Her

By the time the modest cottage came into view, Felix's shoulder was about ready to fall off. His tongue burned from the number of times he bit down on it to distract from the ache in his wound, and even the thin cuts in his neck were set on pestering him with a constant sting. His steps were uncertain as weariness dragged him down. All that kept him upright was Aiko's arm hooked around him—though she was straining herself under his weight.

The air had grown thick with heat as they made their way through the forest. When the trees opened up to reveal the cottage, the familiar sight of a shimmering barrier came into view. It wrapped the cottage in a constant stream of warmth, shifting and wavering like heat waves rolling off the cobblestone paths in the summer. Like Aiko said, it seemed to have a connection to the Core, despite being so far out from the castle.

Night blanketed the forest in the cover of darkness, and the chittering of bugs provided a constant backdrop of noise. It mirrored the static that stuffed his head, slowing his thoughts until they were shapeless and sluggish. Numbly, he stood as still and balanced as possible while Aiko slipped away from his side and approached the flickering barrier.

As much as he wanted to, he couldn't seem to forget her words, nor the sight of flames licking at the body of the guard. He swallowed hard against the lump in his throat, forcing himself to keep his gaze locked ahead. Even without looking, the stickiness of blood gathered between his fingers and bound them together.

The vision had never been this strong in her presence. Now, he couldn't escape it.

He curled his fingers against his palm until his nails bit into his flesh. There was nothing more complicated than magic, and it had always seemed like a distant, childish dream. Now, everywhere he turned, he was sinking into it. From his soul to his bargain to his ally, there was nothing that wasn't steeped in the influence of the Core. Even Aiko was drowning in it. The hurt in her eyes was enough to floor him, and all that kept him upright was the ice crawling through his veins.

Vulnerability, that's what it was. He dragged a hand through his hair to shake the illusion of blood from his fingers. She opened herself up to me and promoted trust between us, even though I still hold my cards in hand. Maybe I should...

A slit opened in the barrier, revealing a clear image of the cottage hidden behind its veil. Aiko glanced over her shoulder with a smug grin, though it didn't quite reach her eyes—dulled by darkness that shrouded her hazel gaze. With the sweep of her arm, she extended her hand to him. "This way."

"I can walk a few feet on my own," he murmured but took firm hold of her hand anyway, allowing her to steady him as he followed her through the glistening field of magic. The moment he stepped through it, the tightness in his lungs vanished and he took a deep breath of fresh, light air. It tasted faintly of smoke and he wrinkled his nose, suppressing a cough that scratched the back of his throat.

Aiko squeezed his hand, threading her fingers between his. She clung to his arm—not for his support, it seemed, as she hung a step behind him. "Maybe it's not for your comfort, but for mine," she whispered. "Ameris and his men should be unable to find this place, however, I can't help the kinds of things my mind is telling me."

Felix glanced along the walls. Unlike the castle and the city, the cottage was constructed mainly of wood. It was almost ironic considering its protection from the Core, which belonged to a beast of fire. He guessed it was made to be unassuming and impermanent.

As Aiko's hand landed against the knob of the door in front of them, she twisted and pushed it open. It creaked loudly on old hinges, swinging open slowly like a reluctant beast she had prodded with her foot. The lights inside flickered on automatically and bathed the entryway in a fiery glow. The hum of magic filled the silence, as warm and clingy as the Core's room back at the castle.