Part 5 - Training

You watch Ari and Marlon's heat as the time on the clock slowly dwindles to 0. In the last minute, Marlon and Ari both get a wave, but all of a sudden Ari stops out of nowhere. Or he's pulled back. You can't see Marlon's face as he surfs his best wave yet, but you imagine his expression is riddled with satisfaction. Success at his friend's failure. Or ex-friend, anyway.

The final scores are announced, and Ari comes in second to Marlon. You watch your brother's smug face paddle in from the white water, Ari following behind, a bitter scowl etched in his features. As soon as the boys' feet hit solid ground, Ari is up, chasing after your brother before shoving him so both boys are facing each other. Their speech is inaudible for you, but actions speak louder than words, you guess, as Ari tackles Marlon to the sand.

Bodhi, Summer and Poppy come up next to you, watching the scene play out on the beach. "Um...Manu?!" You shout across your shoulder, and the coach suddenly realises what's going on, sprinting over and splitting up the two boys.

"Is this some sort of surf ritual I don't know about or a stupid boy fight?" Summer asks as you watch Manu try and reason with the judges who must have seen their fight.

"Stupid boy fight." Bodhi and Poppy reply simultaneously.

Poppy and Bodhi surf their heats and the comp finishes for the day. You pack up your things and head to the car park where your mum is waiting in her car, nails tapping on the steering wheel impatiently.

Marlon runs up the ramp just as you reach the car, and you wonder if he was waiting there just so he wouldn't have to walk with you.

The minute you get in the car, you pull on your headphones, knowing exactly what's coming.

You can only just hear your mum's drowned out shouts in Portuguese aimed directly at your brother. Something about fighting and how Ari used to be his best friend. Manu must have told her about the fight.

After what feels like eternity, you pull up outside your house.

_______________

The next morning, you get up early, grab your bike from the garage and attach your board to the rack on the side. Pulling on a wetsuit to your waist, you hop on the bike and take the coast path to the beach. The shore seems so peaceful this morning, and the swell is good: perfect for a quick early morning surf before work.

Before you nearly go head first into the back of a van, that is.

Unable to keep balance, the heavier side of the bike with the board attached topples over with you still on it.

"Ah crap." You say under your breath, looking up at the van: it was a Shorehaven Boardriders van. Manu must have heard you crash, for he sprints around from the front of his van just as you manage to shuffle out from under the bike.

"Y/n?! You alright?" Manu says, lifting the bike with ease and leaning it against the van. "You wanna watch where you're going, mate."

"Yeah, sorry." You smile in apology, only just realising Bodhi, Poppy and Marlon are all geared up in front of the van.

"No need to apologise." Marlon says. "I'm sure my van will survive." He jokes. "Were you going for a surf? Wanna join us?"

You don't get a chance to respond as Ari comes down the hill also on his bike, but unlike you he presses the brakes sharply before colliding with anything.

"Hey! Ari's here too, let's go." Manu says, ushering you and the others down the steps to the beach. Ari stays behind to talk to Marnu though, although you don't know exactly what it's about.

You suddenly find that you're insanely grateful Ari didn't see you crash, but Marlon certainly did. As you go down the steps, he shoves you playfully, laughing. "I can't believe you crashed."

"Shut up." You say, pushing him back.

____________

Manu films you all surfing, videos for you to look back on later so you can see your performance. It seems like Manu has forgiven you for surfing at the comp, and for getting disqualified, so there's not too much tension in the training session.

Apart from Ari and Marlon.

Every time Ari's got priority on a wave, Marlon swoops in and takes it, and vice versa. You can feel their glares at each other between waves.

You decide to make it your mission to get those two to be friends again by the end of the summer.

"Hey Y/n!" Poppy calls, and you paddle over. "Can you teach a beginner class after this? I really need to practice for Jackson Bay."

Jackson Bay! The comp had completely slipped your mind. But it was still a few weeks away. Enough time to convince Manu to let you compete, you think.

"Sorry Pops, I've got a shift in an hour." You reply regretfully as you both paddle into shore and start walking up the beach.

She sighs. "Okay never mind. Do you know if Marlon could do it?"

"Marlon? Teach a class? Forget it Poppy." Manu says, he must have overheard the conversation. Marlon puts his hands up in confusion but Manu just laughs as he throws him a towel. "You're the best at those classes, Poppy."

"Yeah, but you've got me on them all week. I need to practice." She demands.

"Well you can tonight." He turns to the group. "All of you at the surf club tonight so we can go over this footage, okay?"