Part 10 - Panic

A/N: I know I kind of changed around the order of events that happened in episode 3 but I think it still works so anyway sorry about that. Hope you enjoy! 😊

_________________________

Ari and Marlon's glares burn holes in each other's eyes. For a second, Marlon looks like he might throw a punch, but Ari makes the right move by walking away, shaking his head as he goes.

"Let's go, Y/n." Marlon says, ushering you up the steps.

When you finally get back home, your mum must hear the door go, for she races into the hallway in an instant.

"Where have you been?!" she exclaims in Portuguese. "I sent Marlon out at least an hour ago!"

"She wouldn't come with me." Marlon says casually, sprinting upstairs. Your mum turns to you, hands on her hips.

"I got caught up helping Poppy." you shrug, lying through your teeth.

"Oh really? I don't think so, because I phoned Manu and he said that Poppy had finished all her classes an hour ago!" your mum exclaims.

"So you're stalking me now?" you mutter under your breath, but of course, she hears.

"Don't talk to me like that, Y/n." she snaps. "I was worried so I phoned Manu." she stiffens. "He also told me you have a video review tonight that you and Marlon apparently 'have to go to' in order for you to be ready for Jackson Bay."

"Did he say I was surfing?" you say excitedly.

"Well he didn't say you weren't so take it as a yes." she replies. "Now go upstairs." she says, and even though she's angry, you can't stop smiling.

______________

For the rest of the day, you stay in your room. It seems like Marlon isn't daring to step outside either, in fear of being banned from Jackson Bay. Even Marlon knows that as much as your mum is obsessed with him winning, she's not afraid of banning him from comps to keep the discipline in the house.

At around seven, you hear Marlon's door open, and you grab your hoodie, pulling it over your head as you walk out onto the landing. It doesn't look like Marlon's waiting for you as he sprints down the stairs.

You only manage to catch up with him when he's slowed down by hikers blocking the road. As he manoeuvres his way around them, you run up next to him, but he completely blanks you.

"Marlon!" You hit his arm. "Why are you ignoring me?"

He gives no response, just staring straight ahead.

You climb up on the wall that sits on the edge of the cliff road, walking along next to him with your arms out to keep balance.

"Get down Y/n." he says as he seems to notice you, grabbing your sleeve and yanking you back to the road.

"Oh, so I do exist now."

"When you're about to get yourself killed, then yeah, you do."

"What are you even so mad about? You're going to Jackson Bay." you say, still trying to match his pace as he hurries ahead.

He rolls his eyes, sighing in indignation. "What was that with you and Ari back there?"

"I should be the one asking you that since you're the one who obviously wanted to punch him."

"You know what that was." he replies bluntly.

"No, Marlon I don't." you say. "What happened last year...it was an accident. I don't get why you and Ari have just fallen out."