Part 29 - The Board

You smile awkwardly at Ari, who does the same. "So what do you wanna do?"

"Oh, I was just gonna go home." he replies quickly, gesturing over his shoulder.

You feel a twinge of disappointment, and you can tell it shows in your voice. "Oh, okay, I guess i'll-"

"Y/n. I was joking." he smiles, and you roll your eyes. 

"Well, I need to get a board." you reply. "My mum's given me her credit card to get one."

"Well, let's start there." he says.

You can't help feeling like there's some sort of awkward tension in the air as you make your way into the main town.  Ever since you and Summer found Ari panicking before the last round of the 360, things have been a little tense, to say the least. In fact, you've barely spoken to him. After you've made your way to the main shopping district, the silence seems too thick to even spark up conversation now, and you both remain completely unspeaking.

"What are we doing?" Ari says suddenly, stopping and turning to face you. "Feels like everything is going...weird, at the moment."

"I don't know what you mean." you shrug. But you most definitely do know what he means. 

"C'mon, Y/n!" he exclaims. "What is going on?"

"Nothing." you reply curtly.

He scoffs. "Yeah right. Things have been weird ever since the party." he says - you thought things had been strange since the last round of the 360, but Ari seems to think it's been longer.

When you don't respond, he sighs, his eyes seeming to focus on anyone or anything other than you. "Is this about you getting suspended? Manu told us."

"Great so now everyone knows?" you shoot back. 

"It's not a big deal, Y/n. We can go out and train together so you don't get behind."

"Yeah but..." you take a deep breath. "I don't think the suspension is the only thing the others know about." you say, almost in a whisper, scared that someone might hear you, although there's probably no one in town at the moment that you know. 

"What do you mean?" 

You subtly make a gesture with your hand, motioning between the two of you, but Ari seems none the wiser. His forehead scrunches in confusion and he leans in closer to you, obviously catching on that you don't want people to hear. Although you're still not sure why.

"Ari, after the party Marlon said..." you clear your throat, trying to find the words. "...he said he thought that there was a...thing, between you and me."

Ari shrugs. "So? Isn't there?"

"Well maybe. But if Marlon knows then who else does? I don't really want anyone to know."

"Okay, do you not realise that sounds a tiny bit insulting?" he jokes, but you can't bring yourself to smile. 

"Sorry, I just don't want things to be weird." you explain. "I mean, Marlon seemed cool with it, but what about Pops? Didn't she fancy you?"

"Yeah, but that's over now. I promise." he replies.

"You don't know how she feels. I don't want her to be upset." You decide it's time to change the subject, even if it's to another slightly depressing topic. "Anyway, did you tell someone about what happened at the 360? Your anxiety?"

"Not yet. I was thinking I would talk to Manu about it."

"Seriously, Ari? Why not your parents?"

"Because they'll ban me from surfing! That'll be it - no more comps. They probably won't even let me back in the water for as long as I live." he says. "I know you and Summer said that if I don't tell someone you will. But please, just hang on until after I've talked to Manu. Maybe it'll help."

"And what if Manu talks to your parents?" you press.

"Then it's all over. But I'd rather take my chances with Manu." Ari says adamantly, and you decided not to press it further. 

Ari pushes open the door to the surf shop, and you follow him inside - it's quiet, save for a couple of browsers looking at some of the clothes on the racks at the back of the shop.

You start walking round the edge, running your hands gently along each board. After taking about eight out of their racks, feeling the weight, checking the height and even the design, it feels like you're never going to find one that feels right. Ari has remained silent the whole time, and you're grateful - if this is the board you're going to be stuck with for the next year or two it needs to be the right one, especially as your mum won't be happy if she has to pay for a new one twice. 

"What are you looking for?" Ari whispers in your ear from behind you.

"A board." you say drily, and although you can't see him, you know Ari rolls his eyes.

"Yes, thank you." he replies sarcastically. "What size?"

"6'5."

"Smaller than your last one." he responds. 

"How do you even know that?" you smile. "Are you stalking me Ari Gibson?"

"Maybe." he grins. "Or maybe I just know a bit more about you than you think."

"Oh yeah? Like what?"

"I know that you're very superstitious about your boards." he pulls one out from the rack without looking. "But I know this is your one." You smile and roll your eyes. But it's the right size, the right height. And it just feels right. 

"So, is that it? That's the one?" he says again.

You sigh, reluctant to say yes considering he's acting so satisfied with himself.  "I suppose so."

"You could seem happier about it. That's what you're using in Boardriders next week." Ari smiles, leaning the board back down in the rack for a second. 

"If I'm back in the team." 

"You will be. I'll talk to Manu." he says.

"Okay, well that's not the only thing you're talking to him about, remember?"

"Yeah, yeah. I know. My 'anxiety'" he says exasperatedly.

"Don't say it like that."

"Like what?"

"Like me and Summer are being idiots for caring." you say. "We just want you to be okay."

"I know." he sighs. "You know what would make me feel better though?" he takes your hands in his, linking his fingers with yours and pushing you gently back into a corner of the shop. 

"What?" you say softly, and he answers by leaning in and pressing his lips to yours. The bliss seems to only last a few seconds when you both hear a voice behind you. You realise your eyes were open because they suddenly jolt open when you realise who's speaking. 

"What the hell?" Griff asks with a wry grin. His expression of surprise melting into the sort of face that screams 'how can I use this to my advantage?'. His smile widens. "This is interesting."