5

Note: Let me know if I should bother continuing to post this here. Thanks, DDD.

Draco trudged into the manor library. He was still electrified from holding Psyche so close in the dawn light as she kept watch over her campsite. But he was faking intense fatigue so his parents wouldn't keep him too long after sending for him.

"Sit down, Draco," his father intoned. "Shut the door."

Draco collapsed into his usual chair, a tufted brocade with carved cherrywood legs. He pulled his feet up under his cloak as if intended to fall asleep immediately.

"Pay ATTENTION," Lucius said, kicking at a chair leg.

Narcissa laid a hand on Lucius's arm and shook her head.

Draco straightened his posture, scowling at the rug.

"Darling," Narcissa began. "There's beginning to be ugly gossip about where you've been spending your nights. Accusations of disloyalty to the movement. That sort of thing. We must agree on how to deal with it."

He huffed. "If you're asking me to stick around all night to become snake snacks, forget it."

"Of course we're not," Narcissa said, her hand on Lucius's arm to keep him from snapping at Draco. "We just need an explanation to give people. A harmless, believable story so our rivals in the don't spread any more suspicions that you're involved in – treason against our lord."

"Yes," Lucius sneered. "You've been so timid and avoidant there are rumours that you're untrustworthy, or enfeebled, even or dead. Ever since that disgusting outburst in the dining room."

Draco huffed again. "You want a believable story, yeah? If anyone must know, tell them the only thing that makes sense. How about that I'm a healthy grown man, sick of being locked in a house with a bunch of decrepit middle-aged creeps. Tell them I'm off with women my own age, doing what's natural and normal. Tell them I'm spending my nights doing my best to bless the wizarding world with our fine pureblood genetics."

For the first time in ages, Lucius looked almost pleased with him.

Narcissa clucked her tongue. "You're not doing anything of the kind."

"No, of course not," Draco said. "That useless device Snape gave me takes me to all the most deserted and unpleasant places in the country. I get there, to the middle of nowhere, and wait out what should be the best years of my life in darkness and silence. And then I scuttle back here."

"He's right," Lucius said. "The reality of his situation is too pathetic to mention. Just tell everyone he's in love."

Draco flinched. His lie about slagging around felt like it had nothing to do with Psyche. But his father's lie felt too close to her somehow, and she had to be kept secret. He wasn't exactly sure why, but he felt it strongly. He hardened his face. "I didn't say anything about love."

Lucius waved a hand. "They'll know it means nothing. No need to worry about anyone taking it seriously."

"Right then," Draco said, getting to his feet.

"Just a moment, darling," Narcissa said. "As you know, tomorrow is Christmas Eve. The Dark Lord will be spending the holiday abroad and has given us instructions to host a party here in his absence. Something to show off the sumptuous strength of this movement, and to confuse his enemies about his whereabouts."

Draco scoffed. "House full of fresh new guests. Should make fine sport for the snake."

"The beast will also be dispatched elsewhere," Lucius said. "You needn't know the details, just that we have been assured she will be gone whilst our lord is away. Bella and Greyback will remain to ensure the manor's safety."