20

Hermione was only slightly awake and quite cold, like she'd spent the night sleeping in a Muggle tent. The blanket over her was thin, stiff, smelled of dust, and she could feel every coarse inch of it against her skin, like she was dressed in — in nothing at all. A dreamy fog was clearing from her mind. Before she remembered where she was or why, she was already happy. It was like she was waking up on Christmas morning before dawn. And as she grew more and more awake, she remembered that this was better than Christmas. This was him.

Draco Malfoy was sleeping next to her, lying on his side with his long, pale back to her, curled in on himself as if he was cold too and just as unused to having a bedmate he should be snuggling as she was. Their unconscious, sleeping minds didn't yet know to reach out for each other. Hermione would gladly retrain them.

Sliding across the lumpy mattress of a Grimmauld Place bed, chilly with the air breezing through a broken window, she came close enough beneath the blanket to feel the aura of Draco's heat. As she moved, her body reminded her it had changed since the last time she'd woken up. She had shared it with this man she loved, with her husband, and she could still feel it.

Smiling and sighing, she draped her arm around his waist, her fingers on his arm. Her legs formed to the curve of his and he let out a breathy moan, not awake but waking. Her face came to rest on his shoulder blade, and she breathed on his spine to warm him up.

Her heart rate was rising, and she felt her pulse all throughout her body as she softened into his back. Against the tip of her nose, the scent of his skin was slightly stronger than usual after all the exertions of the night before. It was different without so much of his usual soapy smell, but gorgeous. Open-mouthed, she breathed him in, her lips on his skin, her cheeks warming on their own now as she remembered the night before.

The first time they'd come together, his rain-damp hair on her shoulder, it had been moving and sweet. But for her it had been more like a sacred initiation than something pleasurable. The other times though...

After all his hard work, the poor darling must be exhausted. She smoothed her cheek against his back, tightening her hold on his waist and slipping her foot over his leg. He'd been so passionate, so responsive to her she'd been able to unravel his idea of a half-marriage just a few hours after the ceremony. He hadn't been able to make it last even a day. She giggled into his back and with another loud, sleepy sigh, he nestled himself closer to her.

His neck was too lovely, and getting more visible every moment as the light grew. There was a small, flat, light brown mole just below his hairline. She grazed it with her finger and he shivered. Maybe he was more cold than truly cuddly. There was a way she could find out.

"Accio wand," she whispered into the cold, gusty room. From Hermione's bag on the dressing table, Bellatrix Lestrange's wand came whizzing, hard and fast as if it was hurling itself at her in spite. It answered its summoning with such force it stung her palm as she caught it. But she was able to catch it – a very good sign.

Tipping away from Draco, Hermione aimed the wand toward the air over her vacant pillow and whispered the incantation for a warming spell. Instead of bursting into flame, the pillow lay as if unchanged, but it was warmer to the touch when she felt it with the back of her hand.

"Alright then," she muttered. Lying on her back, she took a deep breath and brandished the wand more confidently now. In his sleep, Draco missed her heat and turned toward her, his arm flung across her stomach, his mouth against her arm, warm and soft. There was his face, barely asleep, content as a cat, his hair dried in total disarray. He was part angel, part wild thing.

"And all mine," she whispered as she kissed his forehead for luck.

She cast the warming spell a second time. There was no static of blue sparks from the wand, just a gentle wafting of air, like opening the door of her parents' electric clothes dryer. It worked.