03. morgan

Why does Biology have to be so difficult? I've been working on my homework ever since I've gotten home from Hailey's house. I go downstairs to get some strawberries as I see a silhouette in the window.

Maybe it was just my imagination.

I wash the strawberries and start eating them. I scroll on TikTok for a bit before going back to the window to check if someone's actually there or it's just my imagination. I open the door to see Matthew staring at my door, then me. It's raining pretty heavily and he's soaking.

"Hi." He says.

"Hey." I say.

We have a bit of awkward silence where we just stare at each other. Why is he here? Is he here for me?

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"Uh, Hailey and I got- we got into an argument. I don't really know why she's mad at me though. Uh, and my girlfriend- my friend who you know, I was kissing-" he says before I interrupt him.

He's never this nervous. Something's clearly wrong.

"The girl you were making out with on the couch?" I ask.

"Uh yes, her. She.. broke up with me." He says, a tear rolling down his cheek.

"Aw Matthew I'm so sorry." I say, pulling him in for an awkward hug. I tell him to come inside and he does.

"Just don't tell anyone please." He asks.

"For sure. Your secrets safe with me."

I felt so bad for him. Even though a part of me was kind of happy, he still was super sad. Most girls don't do this to him so of course he's going to be thrown off.

I offer him some pizza and he says yes. I grab two pieces and rip them apart. While I'm heating it up in the microwave, he walks up super close to me.

Just then he goes in for a real hug. He's really good at giving hugs.

"Maybe your lake house this summer will help take your mind off of it. Only two more days until we go there." I say.

He immediately pulls me in for a kiss. A short one. I start to kiss his soft lips back. Little strands of his hair on my forehead.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have done that." He pulls away and shakes his head.

"Hey, don't worry about it," I respond, "it was not the worst things that's ever happened to me."

With that he pulls me in for another kiss. The only difference is this one was longer. I move my hands to his hair and he moves his hands to my hips. He pulls me in close and I follow. It was passionate, yet sweet. I could smell his hoodie, which smelt like fresh laundry.

Five minutes after he left my parents came home. I didn't tell them what had happened because I don't want them to tell Hailey's parents. Wait Hailey. I should have told Hailey. She never likes it when I'm with her brother, and she'll be even more mad to hear I kissed her brother.

"Is something wrong, Morgan?" Mom asks as I daydream.

"Oh, yeah!" I awkwardly laugh and tell her I'm going up to my room for a bit. When I get there I think. Should I text Matthew, or was it just a kiss because he was sad? This whole thing is way too confusing.

ੈ✩‧₊˚

The next day Hailey told me that Matthew went for a walk at night.

"And then when he got back he acts like nothing happened." She says, annoyed.

"I don't get why you're so mad at him though." I respond.

"It's because he was being annoying last night and then left the house to go on a walk? I don't know about you but that's insanely suspicious. He's hiding something."

"Maybe you're just getting in your own head, Hailey. I'm sure it's nothing." It was definitely something."

As we say goodbye so we can go to class, I run into Matthew.

"Woah, watch where you're going." He says with a slight smirk on his face.

"Matthew, we need to talk about yesterday." I say, seriously.

"Not here." He says as he directs me to an empty classroom.

"Okay, now you can tell me what you want to talk about."

"Why did you kiss me?" I ask, my face starts to feel hot and my eyes get watery.

"Hey, I didn't know it meant that much to you. I'm sorry I was just really upset and I needed some comfort from-" he says, but I don't let him finish his sentence.

"From who, Matthew? From your sisters friend? I'm not an object that you can use whenever you're upset. This isn't even the first time this has happened. Every time you're having girl problems you come back to flirt with me."

"Look, Morgan, I'm sorry. The truth is, I really like you. I never wanted to admit that because the last thing I wanted to do was hurt you. I know you deserve someone so much better than me and that's why I never really asked you out. I'm sorry if I played with your feelings." He says. There's a silence for about 2 seconds before I pull him in for a kiss, a real kiss. A kiss where we're both so emotional that it just takes away all feeling for a bit just so we can be happy for a second. I feel a tear press against my cheek and I pull away to wipe it.

Matthew looks at me, his big brown eyes are glowing as he smiles and gives me a hug. He's so good at giving hugs. I look up at him.

"Hey so, I don't think we should tell Hailey yet about this. About us." I say. Regret flowing through my body. I feel so bad for what I'm about to do right now.

"I think that's a good idea." He says as he takes my hand and walks me to my next class.

This is not going to end well.