26. morgan

The next morning, I basically had to pull myself off of the couch. It was a pretty comfortable sleep, however I did not want to be here today.

I head into the kitchen and search the fridge for something, anything.

"I see you haven't left yet." Hailey's voice startles me. I close the fridge to see the same look she's given me all day yesterday.

"Yeah, my mom is coming to get me tomorrow." I reply, trying to laugh it off but I receive a blank stare in return.

Someone knocks on the door and I see Hailey freaking out, probably cause she was still in her pyjamas.

"Can you get that? Tell Alexis I'll be out soon." She says, walking away before I can respond.

I walk to the door, and open it. Alexis is wearing a baby pink tube top and jean shorts. I can't even compliment her outfit because of what she did.

"Oh, Morgan. Hi." She says, stunned to see me.

"Hello." I say.

"Look, Morgan." She begins to speak, but I interrupt her.

"Did it ever occur to you that I'm a real person with real feelings? You ruined my friendship Alexis. Does that even matter to you?"

"I'm sorry okay. I was jealous and a bitch I know." She breaks down.

"Jealous?"

"I've had a crush on Matthew and I guess my feelings hadn't fully gone away yet, so when Hailey was telling me about how she saw you two at the party, I told her what I knew out of jealousy."

"So you did all this just because you didn't get the boy?"

"Guess so." She looks apologetically.

In a normal situation, I would forgive Alexis. But Hailey is my best friend and she is barely speaking to me. She even asked me to go home.

"You're probably really pissed off. I get it. This girl swooped in and ruined things for you. I've just had such a shitty year I thought, maybe, I could win Matthew over or something. It's dumb."

My heart softens.

What am I doing I'm mad at her? I look up at Alexis with sadness and empathy. This reminds me of when Matthew and I got into a fight a few years ago, but it was only because he was having a hard time, stressed out about his dad.

"What do you mean you've had a bad year?" I ask quietly.

She tells me everything. I feel so bad for her.

"Alexis, I'm so sorry to hear."

"It's okay. It's no excuse for what I've done."

"Look. What you did was wrong, but you're going through so much and you just wanted to have a good summer. I get it."

"You get it?"

"Yeah."

She hugs me and asks if there's any way she could help with Hailey. I thank her but say I think I could handle it.

I think.

Just at that moment, Hailey walks up to us. She completely ignores my presence and looks excited to see Alexis.

"Hey!" Hailey says.

"Hi! You ready?" She asks.

"Yup."

They start to head for the car when Alexis turns around.

"Morgan, do you want to come?" She asks.

"She has to pack." Hailey interrupts.