24. matthew

The morning after my birthday party, I wake up around nine. I sit up and wonder what just happened. As the memories replay in my head, I feel a headache forming and I plant my feet on the ground so I can go get a glass of water.

Everyone in the house is still asleep and it feels.. peaceful.

I grab a glass and fill it with tap water. Sipping it, I hear footsteps coming from upstairs.

"Morning sleepy head." I say to Hailey who looks, if I'm being honest, rough.

"Ha ha real funny." She replies.

"Are you hungover or something?"

"No, not really. I just didn't get much sleep."

"Is it because of the fight with Morgan?"

"I guess. She was being a dick though, you have to admit that."

I stare at her for a second and she notices the look on my face.

"What?" She says sarcastically.

"Do you know how drunk she got so she didn't have to feel what she needed to feel? She loves you Hailey, I mean the girl worships you, so maybe you're too harsh on her sometimes."

"Well I'm not doing anything until she apologizes." She says, walking into the kitchen to make some coffee.

I sigh, knowing my day is going to be filled with this fight between them.

Shortly after, Morgan walks downstairs and sees us both in the kitchen. She stops and I nod at her to come.

"Morning." I say to her.

"Morning." She whispers back.

Hailey ignores the awkward interaction between us and continues doing what she's doing.

"Sleep well?" I ask.

"Uh, yeah."

"Would've been better if she was sleeping with you." Hailey mumbles under her breath, but loud enough for us both to slightly hear. We turn to look at her, Morgan had a surprised expression plastered onto her face.

"Okay, girls. This fight is stupid. You both need to drop it already. So what you both said some mean things." I immediately blurt out.

"Some mean things? She called me a slut!" Hailey remarks.

"You called me a creep obsessed with your brother!" Morgan replies.

"Because you are!"

"Okay, stop. Both of you. It's nine in the morning. That means it's too early for this." I shout and they both stop, "Morgan, you were wrong for calling Hailey a slut, and Hailey, you were wrong for calling Morgan a creep."

"Okay, whatever. I'm going to be the bigger person here. I'm sorry, Hailey." Morgan says.

"Okay." Hailey replies, before walking away.

Morgan sighs and presses her back into the wall. I grab her arms.

"It's okay. She's just being Hailey right now. She will get over it. She just needs some time." I assure her, although I'm not sure if Hailey ever will get over this.

Morgan gives me a kiss on the cheek before checking the coffee that was brewing. She grabbed herself a mug and placed it on the counter, staring at her feet. When the coffee was done, I heard footsteps quickly coming down the stairs.

"I'm just here for my coffee." Hailey says, pouring herself a cup.

"Can I have some?" Morgan asks.

"Only because you apologized." She replies and heads back upstairs.