Chapter 5

~ Noah ~

Kyle: So everything's cool on your end?

Noah: Yes, K. No need to worry.

I sent that text even though I was worried about tonight. It was Saturday and if I got through my shift without a hitch like I'd done yesterday, I'd finally be a regular member of the Nightfall staff. So far, I hadn't had any big incidents - there had been people arguing about the price or getting irritated that they'd flirted with me and I hadn't flirted back - but nothing major. It was going so smoothly that it was actually unnerving and the feeling that disaster was about to strike had me drinking herbal tea after herbal tea in hopes of calming down. The only thing I'd achieved with that action was more frequent runs to the bathroom.

Kyle: Keep me updated.

I rolled my eyes. Like he wouldn't be the first person I'd call.

Noah: As soon as I get the job, you'll know. And if I don't get it, you'll still know.

Kyle: That again? Cue in a sigh.

Noah: What?

Kyle: You'll get the job, N. You are awesome. We both are. Just watch my vids if you don't believe me. Or ask my many fans

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I had my own things to worry about right now; I didn't need a reminder that my best friend - who was frivolity incarnated - was away, on his own, and with his face and other body parts available for viewing as long as you paid a fee.

Noah: I worry about you putting yourself out there.

Kyle: You've always worried about me, even before this job

Noah: That's because people find you addictive. You sleep with them, you move on, they don't.

Kyle: Not my fault. I tell them casual is what I'm after

Noah: I know, but they still go after you.

It had happened quite often back at home. Kyle would go out with someone, have sex with them, forget all about it - well, almost - and then they'd 'accidentally' run into each other and the other guy will be 'let me take you home, baby'. And when Kyle said 'nope' without a care in the world, that other guy would sometimes get angry, very angry, and we'd have to make a run for it because neither of us was packing much muscle. Sure, we both used to dance and we still kept in shape by exercising - I also had a healthier diet than him - but we were lean and graceful, not bulky and ferocious. Things were different when Ben's nephew - Zack, would came to visit his uncle in Grandfort and the three of us went out; not only was there more of us, but Zack was packing more muscle than Kyle and I, and he had practice fighting. And when that guy fought, things got bloody... And by 'things' I meant his opponents.

My phone rang and I swiped my finger across the screen to take my best friend's call.

"So, look," Kyle started, "I appreciate you worrying, but I so don't need a babysitter, so stop worrying."

"That's a lot of 'so'."

"I'm tired. Long shoot today."

"How did it go?"

"It was okay. My co-star lost it for a bit, but I gave him a lapdance and he was up and ready - pun intended - to finish. Second pun also intended."

I chuckled.