Chapter 11

A/N: And now, back to the present...

~ Dex ~

The knock on my door surprised me. I had the afternoon off, but I hadn't made plans with anyone.

"I'm coming," I shouted, my tone holding a questioning inflection.

As soon as I opened the door, I wished I'd stayed at work.

Julian was on the other side, all tall and handsome, a charming smile on his lips.

I drew in a shaky breath, my heart pounding as if I'd run all the way up to my fifth-floor apartment.

"Aren't you going to invite me in?" He asked so at ease that it was obvious he had no doubt I'd step aside and let him into my home.

"No." I croaked out and licked my lips. I had half a mind to slam the door in his beautiful, statuesque face... But I couldn't.

At least I hadn't let him in.

I was standing my ground.

But for how long?

Not much, judging by past experience, which was precisely why my long-haired, blond ex didn't seem worried.

"Are we going to talk here?" He asked, voice calm and pleasant.

"No," I repeated. His smile grew and he took a step towards the door; I put a hand on his chest to stop him. "I mean, there's nothing to talk about."

He didn't miss a beat. In an instant, his hand was covering mine, squeezing it gently and it hurt; it hurt so, so much to think that once upon a time this gesture would've made me warm all over instead of causing needles to poke at my heart. And yet, I hadn't the strength to pull away.

"I think there is," he whispered, lowering his head a little to get closer to my face.

I looked into his amber eyes, and for a long moment, I was lost. Lost inside my head, lost inside my memories, thinking of him smiling at me while we played together as children; of him holding my hand to help me relax at the first teenage party we went to; of the first time we switched from a friendly peck on the cheek to our lips meeting; remembering how easy it had been to fall in love with him because I'd loved him for years; recalling the nights we'd spend in each other's company, sometimes in passion, sometimes in an embrace that promised an eternity together...

And then I crashed down.

Hard.

I ripped my hand out of his hold and angled my body away from his. Pain and anger were a powerful mix that fueled my voice and strengthened it.

"We could have something to talk about if you want to apologize. But we both know that's not going to happen," I said coolly, and the smile faded from his face. Warm eyes turned stormy, eyebrows dropping, and jaw clenching.

"I did what I had to, Dex."

"For yourself, not for us." I started to close the door, but he pushed his way in.

"Out," I said while I stood motionless in my spot, all my efforts on not shouting at him.

"Why does it always have to be this way?" He sighed, tired, but there was also irritation there. As if this was my fault. As if I was some stubborn child, throwing a tantrum, and refusing to see reason.

I slammed the door. It was obvious he wasn't going anywhere. Might as well make it harder for the neighbors to eavesdrop.

"Why? Why?" Fury rolled off of me in waves so strong, I was surprised they didn't push him back. But this was Julian, and he'd always stood tall. Sometimes it really seemed that a talented artist had carved a perfect figure from marble, given it life and the name Julian, and now nothing could destroy him.