14 / Boxes

A question is asked and an answer is given. That's how it's meant to work. It's how information is passed.

Sometimes, an answer is unexpected. It can give pause for thought. It can alter your next question or alter your perception of life. And, in this case, death.

Cassidy's thoughts were caught in a whirlwind that blew through his mind, sweeping up everything in its path. They were then dropped in random heaps he was unable to decipher or form into identifiable phrases. His previous interactions had been unusual, not least because of their method, but none of them had prepared him for this.

Was she playing with him? He'd asked if she was a ghost. Was this her way of getting back at him for asking such an obviously stupid question?

"You died?"

Yes. Seven years ago.

"Are you serious?"

Serious about what?

"About dying? You're joking, right?"

About dying? You think that is a joke?

He hadn't suggested death was a joke. Having lost both his parents, he could categorically say it really wasn't. That wasn't his intention. But how could she be serious?

Besides, Amy said she wasn't a ghost, not that he needed the affirmation. Ghosts were not real, and she'd agreed with him. She could not be dead.

Any other time, he would be laughing at himself. Any other time, also, he wouldn't even be thinking this way. It just wouldn't occur to him. He had his views on life and death, and the finality of each. Amy was alive. Whether or not she was playing games was another matter. She was alive.

"No," he said. "Of course not."

The lipstick marks had faded, leaving only the smudge. It had reduced in size, though appeared grubbier. Knowing the result, but trying anyway, Cassidy said:

"I wasn't trying to make fun of you. I just don't understand."

Silence. No movement. No ants.

Batteries again? Or had Amy taken offence at his comment? What did she expect would be the reaction to telling someone she was dead?

"Amy?"

He was wasting his breath and his time. His hope for answers had resulted in adding to the bewilderment, and then she'd left him hanging. She was the one who started speaking to him! He was doing her a favour by answering in the first place. He could have ignored that first message, which was, granted, unlikely. He could have left the mirror inside the wardrobe, so he wouldn't have seen it, anyway. Even with the wardrobe in use, the mirror would have been obscured. That, coupled with the row of clothes hanging in front of it, would have made it effectively invisible and, thus, forgotten.

OK, fine. It wasn't fine, and he was angry at the abandonment, but he wasn't going to show it outwardly. Though she was no longer having a dialogue with him, she could still be watching. He'd act as if it didn't bother him at all.

He was used to doing that with Elise. She'd make some biting comment or use a judgemental tome and he'd take it. Pretend it didn't concern him. It was just her way. Well, maybe this was Amy's way. He accepted it from his ex-girlfriend, true. Amy and Elise were completely different. One was an annoying stranger who had yet to show her face. The other was an ex-girlfriend with two faces, who'd held his heart in her hand and taken pleasure in crushing it.

But, let's not be bitter. eh. The thought made Cass smile and he fully realised how that might look to Amy, should she be able to see him. Good. Let her think he wasn't concerned.