51 / How to Make Friends and Get Your Head Kicked In

"There."

Jazz stopped and pointed.

"Richard Elias used to live down here," Cassidy said, not yet wanting to see where his sister was indicating.

"Your mate from school?" Ethan asked.

"Yeah. Before they moved to Australia."

"What's he doing now?"

"No idea. I tried to find him on Facebook, but couldn't. I don't think he's on it. He's not on any of the others' friends lists."

"Moving to Australia is a bit far to get away from you," said Jazz, not looking or dropping her arm.

"Blocking you on Facebook is a bit harsh, too."

"You're funny. His parents emigrated, so he had to go too."

"Yeah, that's what he told you."

"Guys," said Jazz. "Focus. Your friend doesn't live here anymore, but Greg does."

"Who's Greg?" Ethan asked, looking confused.

"Amy's dad, stupid," Cassidy told him. "She did mention it."

"Oh yeah. I forgot."

"Get your head in the game, Fishy," said Jazz. "This isn't a game."

"Get my head in a game that's not..."

"Shut up!"

Jazz and Cassidy both snapped at their brother. He was stalling and, as much as they wanted to too, they couldn't.

"Which number?" Ethan asked, his voice not showing any indignation at the admonishment.

"Twenty three. The one with the cut down tree."

"Right," said Ethan. "Let's go."

He stepped off the footpath and onto the road, but Cassidy pulled him back.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm going to confront the arsehole. See what he says."

"You're going to just walk up to the door and accuse him?"

"We're not accusing him. We're telling him we know what he did."

"What's the difference?"

"Accusations imply the possibility of innocence. He's guilty as fuck."

"Maybe so, but we can't do that. We need to be careful."

"Fuck that Let's just go get him."

"Cass is right," Jazz said. "We can't do that. Let's just wait and see what happens. See if he comes out"

"For how long? We could be here all day!"

"You have somewhere better to be?"

"Well, yeah!"

"Where?"

"Anywhere else!"

Jazz and Cass turned their attention to the door of number twenty three, and their backs to their brother. They couldn't blame him. They felt the same. They also knew he didn't mean it. Well, not entirely. Anywhere else would be preferable, and here was essential.

"He's bound to come out at some point. Best make ourselves comfortable."

"We're in a street. There's a wall and a path. Not exactly the Ritz, is it?"

"Fishy, you've never been to the Ritz in your life, and you'll never go. You ain't got that kinda money, and you're far too common!"

"I can be posh if I tried!" Ethan mocked indignation, putting one hand to his mouth and the other to his hip.