34 / Board Yet? Yes! Yes!

"It is. I did say," Cassidy told Jazz.

"You did. And I believe you."

It was a pity his sister hadn't believed him without the input of their brother. She should have taken his word for it. It didn't matter, he supposed. She was on board now. That was something.

"Thanks."

"So, me and Ethan were wondering if you fancied coming to mine tomorrow?"

"What for?"

The question sounded much more suspicious than he'd intended. Maybe this could reignite their sibling relationship. They'd been close, once upon a time. They still were, really, but not as much as in their youth. They didn't speak to one another often and weeks could pass between calls or text messages. Cassidy liked the idea, regardless of the reason for it or the potential subject matter.

"Just some drinks and a takeout. It's been too long since we did something like that."

Two years and a very little bit, Cass thought. His brother and sister had invited him round to Ethan's for similar drinks and take away food. It was planned for Valentine's Day, to try and ease his problems with the date. Even though he'd declined the offer, deciding to plan something romantic for Elise, the former love of his life had taken great issue with the suggestion. Who did they think they were to consider spoiling her day? How inconsiderate of them? And he'd thought about going (he hadn't)? That showed what he thought of her. He was supposed to love her, yet would prefer to spend that special day with his family instead of his lover.

He tried to object, but Elise refused to listen. She was adept at seeming to do anything else other than listen to his point of view. Or believe him in the unlikely event it was heard

"Yeah, sure," he said.

Why not?

"Excellent. Are you at work tomorrow?"

No. Not until next week."

"Great. Be at mine at about 3, then."

"PM, I take it?"

"Well, you can come at 3 am, if you like, but you'll be stuck out on your own, cos I won't get up to answer the door."

"OK," Cass laughed. "I'll see you then."

With no sign of Amy's return, and why should he be waiting for that anyway, he decided to show Bobby the neighbourhood. He wanted to see it himself, too. His memory of the area was foggy after years of absence and taking his puppy for a walk would do them both good.

Bobby responded well to the lead, aided by the pocketful of small treats Cassidy had taken to train him. Cassidy responded well to the fresh air, aided by the little friend by his side. The fog cleared quickly, though he extended the walk for another hour, with Bobby tiring before thirty minutes were up.

Amy remained absent for the rest of the day and, apart from a brief conversation the next morning, in which she admitted the talk with both Cassidy and Ethan had been more tiring than she'd expected. She apologised for her absence and assured him she'd be better able to speak later. When later, she wasn't sure.

Cass told her not to worry. He'd be there, waiting.

As long as it was before 3 pm or after... however long it would take at his sister's. When he'd agreed to go, he hadn't thought about being away from Amy. Now the potential to miss her visit bothered him. He wanted to be there. To see her, if only her words and not her form. He would show his face at Jazz's, have one drink and something to eat, then hurry... no, come home.

Knowing Amy's return could be imminent made the day drag. He filled it with emptying boxes and organising his still packed belongings. There seemed to be more to unpack than had been packed, as if the possessions had multiplied whilst in storage. He kept checking the mirror as he went, just in case there was a message. There wasn't.