Raven

As soon as Adrik came to fetch me from the lonely solitude of the library, I was overcome with relief. After the incident with Alastor in the hallway, I never wanted to be by myself again.

My mate stood in the doorway of the library, seeming distant. His eyes scanned me cautiously as if I was going to disappear at any minute.

"Adrik," I breathed.

He seemed to relax at my voice. The side of his lips twitched up into a half-smile.

I returned it with my own bright grin as he lifted his arms out in my direction. I ran to him and wrapped my arms around his torso, laying the side of my face on his strong chest. He slid one hand to my lower back and the other up to the nape of my neck, engulfing me in his warm embrace.

I lifted my head to look up at him, my chin resting on his chest. He was staring lazily down at me, with a slight sadness in his gaze. My smile dropped and I pulled my brows together in question, waiting for him to speak what was clearly on his mind.

"Raven," his deep voice reverberated in my ears. "I have something to tell you."

I stayed silent, waiting for the news.

"But first, let's get back to the room." He finished.

I nodded slowly, still curious as to what he was going to tell me. He pulled away, yet kept a hold of my hand as he led us out of the room.

On our way back, Adrik decided to stop by the dining hall to request that a few maids collect some dinner for us. I made sure to remind him to inquire about some food for Red.

Once we got back to Adrik's bed chambers, I noticed the little fox playing with a bug on the windowsill. I smiled at seeing his precious little ears perk up upon our arrival.

Adrik went over to get him and pat him on the head. I, on the other hand, had a much more pressing matter to deal with. This dress.

As soon as I stepped into the room, I peeled off the uncomfortable garment. I would rather walk around nude than wear that thing again.

I looked up to find Adrik staring at me in surprise. I looked up at him innocently. "It was hot," I justified, complaining about the stuffy dress.

"Hell yeah, it was." He smirked.

I flushed pink, realizing he took it differently than how I meant it.

I watched as he left Red and fished around in his wardrobe for a shirt. He grabbed one and walked over to where I was standing. "Here princess," he slid it over my head and I poked my arms through the holes. "As much as I love seeing you completely exposed for me, I'm going to need the least amount of distractions for this conversation."

Distractions? Am I just a distraction to him?

I nodded, still not fully understanding what he meant. He hasn't made any sense since he got back from his office today.

Adrik went over and sat down on the edge of the bed, pulling me with him to stand in between his legs. He swallowed hard before looking me in the eyes. Even though he was sitting down and I was standing, we met at eye level.

Adrik's hands took mine and he gently intertwined our fingers. "I'm leaving tomorrow."

My breath caught in my throat at his words. "W-what?" I tried to take a few steps back but couldn't go very far with our hands locked together. His hands started to get warm to the touch, or maybe it was my hands that started to get sweaty. "You can't leave," my voice sounded small and weak.

"You'll be staying here with Alastor. He's my old friend and most trusted advisor. You can ask him for anything you may need while I am gone," Adrik proffered.

"But what if I need you."

I noticed a subdued look of sadness cast over his expression with my words. I could tell he was trying to act as if this didn't affect him as much as it did me.

"Xena and I are leaving tomorrow. We're traveling to the Fairy Realm to visit Han Montalli. He may have information on our bond," he informed me. He squeezed my hands. "I'll be back as soon as I can, princess."

I dropped my gaze towards the ground.  Adrik stood up and wrapped his arms around me in a gentle embrace. I felt him dip his head into the crook of my neck. "I'll be back as soon as I can," he repeated, whispering the promise in my ear.

A knock sounded at the door and Adrik let go of me to answer it, mumbling about it being a bad time for the maids to interrupt with the food.

I stayed in my position standing by the bed, still staring watery-eyed at the ground when he came back. Adrik set the trays of food on the bed and set a bowl down in front of Red. The fox cub happily dug in.

I, on the other hand, lost my appetite from the previous exchange between Adrik and me. How could he even think to leave me alone? And with Alastor?

I shivered as I felt Adrik brush my arm gently. "Raven?" His voice was deep and soothing.

He lifted my chin with a finger. I looked up at him with teary eyes.

My mate placed a lingering kiss on my lips. "You have to be strong. You're going to be the queen of the Demon Realm one day soon."

I felt a tear escape and roll down my cheek.