Chapter 5

Tarun blinked and looked at the screen, suddenly struggling to breathe. It felt as if a heavy weight pushed his chest, constricting his breaths. He stood up and staggered towards his bed and collapsed on the floor next to it.

At that very moment, he knew he was going to die. In fact, he knew the precise time of his death down to the very second. The time and location had been determined long ago, and he had personally invited every person who would be in attendance. They would be as excited to be there to see him die as he had been when he invited them.

He rubbed his eyes and face with his fingers and sighed. Could it be true that this was the end of the road? Was the whole ceremony a sham, an elaborate fake to make those in attendance believe it was a time of celebration when, in reality, death awaited? Did any of them know what actually took place during the ceremony? Was it possible no-one did, that they were all blissfully unaware?

"Alice," he said with a broken voice, "Can you brew me a cup of tea, please?"

"Of course. Your regular blend?" a female voice replied from somewhere around him.

"Yes, please."

Tarun walked over to the windows in the living room and leaned up against the window with both hands. Rain drops streaked across the floor to ceiling windows as wind gusts whistled around the balcony. The occasional gust battered the glass, a sliver of coolness seeping through invisible cracks around the windows. The thought of going out in the storm made him shiver. Yet, he might not have a choice.

The sound of a bell let him know the tea was ready. The aroma greeted him as he walked over to the kitchen and reached for the cup. As soon as he picked it up, his shaky hand caused some to spill on the floor. He resisted an impulse to drop it, instead enduring the heat of the liquid and steadying the cup with his other hand while he wiped his wet hand on his pant leg.

He drank the tea plain from a chair by the window, his eyes distant as he let the warm liquid warm his body. There was a decision to make. As the memory fragments of his hike from the prior day became more clear in his mind, the only option that made sense was to return to the scene of the incident, to try to make some sense of what had happened.

But, there was no denying the fact that just 24 hours ago, he had been excited about his future prospects, about the ceremony. Now, it felt as if the whole world had been pulled out from under his feet. Everything he had worked for, everything had had hoped to achieve in the future, it all meant nothing.

The truth was out there somewhere, that much he was certain of. Somewhere along that trail, there had to be a clue to what had happened last night. He had to find it, if not for himself, for all of those he had invited to his ceremony. They deserved to know.

"Alice, prepare the car," he said as he stood and return the tea cup to the kitchen.

"The car? Sir, in this weather, it is not advisable—"

"I understand. Just prepare it, ok? I leave immediately."

"As you wish."

Tarun returned to his bedroom and put on his heavy outdoor clothing. He took his survival knife down from the shelf where he kept it and turned it in his hand for a few moments before he strapped it to his leg. It was an item he had never expected to use. Perhaps he finally would. A few other survival items, including rain gear, flash light and water bottle, ended up in a small backpack.

"Is the car ready?" he said as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Yes, it is warmed up and waiting for you in the usual spot."

"Thank you, Alice."

"If I may, please remember that tomorrow is—"

"Yes, thank you Alice, I have not forgotten."

He left his apartment and took the elevator down into the parking garage. As promised, his car was running and it was warm and pleasant inside. For a moment, he regretted not taking Alice along. Although Alice had been to his destination with him numerous times in the past, the weather had never been as bad as it was now. The drive would be treacherous, visibility poor. Unfortunately, Alice insisted on safe driving and on a night like tonight, it would take hours to get where he wanted to go. Alice was not an option.

With a sigh, he put the car in gear and pulled out of his spot. As he approached the exit, the sheets of rain drifted sideways through the air. The storm was getting worse. He hesitated for a moment at the threshold of the parking garage, closed his eyes and put his head on the wheel. Is this the right thing to do? Is it worth it? He felt a tightening sensation in his chest as he struggle with whether to go or stay.

I can't stay. I have to find the answer. He looked up and wiped a tear from his eye, released the brake and drove off into the rain.

~~~