Chapter 10

Those remaining in the Departure Hall gasped as Tarun blinked and coughed. The straps that secured him came undone, and he collapsed on the floor. Wared knelt next to him and grabbed his arm.

"Tarun? Are you ok? What's going on?"

Tarun struggled to sit up on his knees and threw up over the edge of the stage.

"He's alive," someone said with a sense of awe. "He's alive." Soon, whispers spread throughout the hall as the guests pointed and whispered among themselves.

"Tarun?" Wared tried again, but Tarun waved his hand in the air.

"Wa—" Tarun said as he got up on one knee. "Wared," he said in a scratchy voice as he reached for his nephew. "I need—"

The main doors into the hall slammed open. Henrin marched through the door with half a dozen Departure Enforcers behind him.

"If I may have your attention," he said loud enough that everyone in the hall could hear him. "Please exit the Departure Hall immediately and gather in gallery six. Two of my associates will lead you there." As if on command, two of the enforcers behind him stepped out from behind him and started barking commands. Ruban continued up to the stage. He put a hand on Wared's shoulder.

"How is he doing?"

"What's going on here?" Wared said and stood up. "What's happening? Why is he here?" Wared pointed at Tarun.

"That, I'm afraid, is the question. A departure failure is exceedingly rare."

"It's a miracle," a young man said as he stared at Tarun with large eyes. "He's still here."

"Take him out of here," Henrin said to one of his companions with gritted teeth. "Get him out."

"A departure failure?" Wared said, his eyes widening. "I have never heard of such a thing."

"Exactly, because they are so rare. We will, of course, have to investigate. For now, we will take him to the hospital for examination. Our first priority is ensuring the health and well-being of Candidate Tarun."

"Of course. I'll come—"

Henrin held up his hand. "Don't worry about Tarun, he'll be in the best possible hands. There is, however, someone who might need your assistance to make it home," he said and pointed towards Kyra, his daughter.

"Oh!" Wared said. "Yes, right,'m not sure what happened ."

"Just get her home so she can rest up. You can join Tarun at the hospital later, if you so wish."

Two medics emerged with a stretcher at that very moment. Tarun, who still seemed dazed, was loaded onto the stretcher, secured and then carried out of the hall.

Wared waited until Tarun disappeared and then walked over to Kyra. She sat on the floor rubbing her head.

"Hey, you ok?"

"'m fine ," she said and managed to lift herself up on a nearby chair with Wared's help. She looked around and noticed her father on the stage. "What is he doing here? Where's Tarun?"

"He's on the way to the hospital. Apparently he survived. Some sort of departure failure according to your father."

"A departure failure?"

"Yes, he said they're highly unusual and—"

"They are. There hasn't been one in years."

"Anyway, your father wanted me to take you home before I go visit Tarun."

"No, no, I'll come with you to the hospital," Kyra protested.

"Tarun will need to rest anyway so it's probably for the best.'m certainly not going against what your father says. "