Chapter 15

Wared collapsed against the wall opposite the now locked door and tried to calm his rapid breathing. Raised voices closed in on the other side of the now locked door.

"Come on," Shea said, and pulled him up. "We can't stay here. It won't be long before they unlock the door."

Wared nodded and followed Shea down the tunnel. "We can't go back the same way," she said over her shoulder. "It's too risky. We'll need to find another way to exit."

"Where?"

"Just follow me."

Wared nodded quietly as he followed her. In the distance, he heard the sound of a door slammed open and shouts as the men in pursuit followed them into the tunnels.

Shea stopped at what appeared to be a random door and keyed in the code. The red light lit up and flashed twice. She pulled on the handle but the door didn't budge. A curse flowed over her lips as she re-keyed the code and was once again greeted by the red flashing light.

"What does that mean?" Wared said as he leaned against the wall catching his breath.

"It means they have disabled the code to the access codes in this area."

Wared raised his eyebrows and took a deep breath. "We can't get out?"

Shea shook her head and furrowed her brow. "No, not here. I'm sure it's on purpose. They know we're in here and they know we can't get out if they disabled the codes. Or change them."

"So we're stuck."

"Maybe," Shea said with a shrug and looked up and down the hallway and then at the sign above the door. The echoes of boots in the distance drew nearer at an alarming pace as she led Wared in the opposite direction.

"Where are we going?" Wared said between breaths as they followed various twists and turns.

Shea glanced over her shoulder with a finger over her mouth as she stopped. Wared opened his mouth to ask why they had stopped but she put a finger across his lips as well and put her other hand around her ear, listening.

Wared followed her example and focused on the sound approaching behind them. After a few moments, he realized that there were obvious signs of someone approaching from the other direction as well. They were walking into a trap.

"They're surrounding us," Shea whispered and then nodded in the direction they had been running. Wared felt a churning sensation in his stomach. Was this the end? Would the Protectorate catch them after all?

Shea tapped his arm and pointed to the floor. A storm drain grate was centered in the middle of the corridor. "Help me," she mouthed and reached through the openings of the grate. Wared reached down and grabbed the other side. At first, the grate wouldn't budge, but as they rocked it back and forth, it gave way and they were able to lift it up and put it on the floor next to the opening.

"Go," Shea said and pointed to the dark opening that led into a three feet wide vertical pipe with metal rungs mounted on one of the side walls. A faint stench rose from the darkness below.

"Down there?"

"Yeah, what did you think it was for?"

"You go first then. I'm stronger, it's easier for me to put the cover back in place."

Shea opened her mouth to protest but changed her mind and instead nodded with a faint smile of appreciation. She jumped down into the whole without hesitation and climbed down the rungs. Within seconds she had disappeared into the darkness below.

Wared took a deep breath and followed. He moved the grate back on top of the hole, careful not to drag it across the floor. Leaving evidence in the form of drag marks could easily draw the attention of those pursuing them.