I Make Myself Sick

My phone rings for the forth time. I grumble into the pillow and squint at my alarm clock.

5:21 AM

The case of my phone is still slick from grease. My nephew likes to play games on it and last time he was eating fried chicken. Between packing and getting him ready to take him back to my sister, wiping off my case has been the least of my worries.

The screen flashes in my face when I pick it up and I let out a small whimper, squinting as my grip loosens.

"Piece of garbage." I groan and lean over the edge of the bed to grab the cell.

"AH!"

I slide and drag the sheets with me. My hip hits the floor with a thud and the nightstand catches under my chin.

That's going to bruise later.

I huff, dragging myself off the hardwood floor. I keep my boots next to the bed and end up pulling one up with me. One of the hooks are latched to my shirt. The sheets wrap around my legs.

My phone rings again. I howl in frustration, trying to free myself from my hindrances. The boot thumps on the floor. My niece starts crying in the next room and I hear my sister yelling at me. I groan and grab the phone.

"What?" I growl into the receiver.

"Uhm? Hello. Is this Miss Tesha Dupont?"

I don't recognize the voice. Finding my place back on the bed, I leave the sheets on the floor.

"Tesha! I swear I'm going to kill you!" Kim yells as she busts open my door with baby in arm. The dark circles under her eyes and the sunken look of her face tell me all I need to know. I hold my arms out to my crying niece.

"Is everything alright?" The man on the other line sounds genuinely concerned.

"Yes, just...can you give me a second?" I huff into the phone sleepily.

Kim has been trying to get Fallon to bed for the past three hours. When she reaches my arms, Fallon immediately stops crying. Her head lays on my shoulder as Kim sighs and heads back out the door.

"Now, who is this and how did you get my number?"

He waits a beat. "This is Captain Pete Mitchell. Maverick? They told me you would be here around five to meet with me. They gave me this number to get in touch with you. We are supposed to go over some things before the aviators get here. A debriefing with Cyclone and Warlock."

I glance at the clock again. "Crap!"

"It's alright. I've smoothed it over with Cyclone. You're in the clear. We were just going see when you'd get here." He chuckles.

"Seriously, thank you. I don't know what I would have told him. I'm so sorry. I'll be there around six."

"I'll see you then, Coroner."

I end the call and throw the phone on my pillow. Putting my arm around Fallon, I pat her back and walk around my room for a second. Kim makes her way back in and gives me an exasperated look, taking a tired Fallon from my arms.

"You are good with kids. You should be taking care of your own right now, not flying at MACH 10 in a hunk of metal."

I smile warily. Ever since her husband died in the army, she's hated my involvement with the navy. Even though they are separate, all the divisions are the same to her. If she knew all that I'm really involved in. She'd be out of her mind.

"Never gone MACH 10. Sorry, but I've got to meet Maverick in about forty minutes. I'll try to be quiet as I get ready."

She flops down on my bed and Fallon leans over on the pillow. "I wish you wouldn't go. Can't you do something to get out of all this? After Henry-"