Contract of Friendship

"Dang...it really is you." I pause, widen my eyes, and glance down at my unmatching nightclothes too big for my body. Kim's Hello Kitty shirt covered in white powder. Red and black checkered pajama bottoms so long they gather around my ankles and attempt to trip me.

I really hope he can't tell how red my face is under all the flour.

"The one and only." He smirks.

I point to the picture on the shirt. "This is not mine. I swear."

He smirks with his hands behind his back. His voice smooth and low. "Definately not. Yet cartoon graphics really make your baby blues pop." He pokes my nose.

"Oh, Captain! My Captain!" Caleb salutes again. "Do I spy a boyfriend at the door?"

I flush. Hangman smirks and peaks his head in around the door to eye the kid. "I wish."

"Yeah, you do." I roll my eyes. "Do you want to come in?"

"Sure, thanks." He steps inside and I head over to the bowl.

"Morning, Mrs. Thatcher."

"Good morning." She sings and comes over to put Fallon's bottle in the fridge, eyeing me with a smirk. "Tesha's showing Caleb how to make pancakes."

"I love pancakes! Want some help?" Hangman offers, coming next to me at the counter.

"I think Caleb and I - Caleb where you going?" I watch him slide off the counter and dash towards the bathroom. He pokes his head back out.

"Sorry! Explosive diarrhea! Still the show must go on! Don't mind me!" He waves his hand and retreats to the bathroom.

Kim chuckles on the couch. Her laugh is so light and happy. I'm glad she can still smile after all she's been through.

"Is he okay?" Jake eyes me, concerned, but humor dances in his eyes.

"He's being stupid and trying to get out of doing work." I chuckle. "He's fine."

"Yes. That's exactly what he's doing." Kim picks Fallon up. "Oh, Tesha. It's time for our morning stroll. We'll be back in a few minutes."

She starts walking to the door. I furrow my brows at her, sensing her game. The same as Caleb's.

"Morning stroll? You don't do those."

She purses her lips. "I do...now." She winks. "Don't worry. Caleb will keep you in check. Behave yourself, kids. Bye, Bagman."

I roll my eyes and feel the heat rising to my cheeks. I turn back to the bowl of batter.

"Well, that was a terrible struggle to get you alone." Hangman smirks, leaning against the counter, chewing his lip.

"We aren't alone. You heard her. Caleb is here."

"Yeah, but you'll never know that!" Caleb yells from the bathroom.

I shake my head and smile. Jake laughs behind me. I feel him slide down the counter a little closer.

"He sure is a character." I catch him smiling in the corner of my eye. "Also...Bagman? You told your sister my name was Bagman?"

I snort. "She misunderstood you, yesterday."

"Ah." He nods raising his head and leaning in. His eyes cutting across my face as he smiles. "You never corrected her?"

I shrug. "Never felt the need. I've always thought 'hangman' was a typo anyway."

I go to take the spoon to mix the ingredients in the bowl, but he grabs it before me. My hand lands on his and I quickly draw it away.