18 - Just Reminiscing

happy reading!! Ü

————

Theo's hand reached towards me at an instant. I recoiled.

"What does he mean?" I hated the way my voice trembled so clearly as I sought out answers in Theo's conflicting eyes.

"It's not what you think, Cora," Theo began.

Immediately offended by the sentence, I scoffed. I hated when people said cliched things like that, like it was supposed to make me feel better. I shook my head, wanting it to just completely fall off for being so stupid. To actually think that I thought someone like Theo was different.

"Theo, please, don't," I murmured before turning my heels and zooming straight back to the table. Lana and James seemed to be doing what they did best, bickering, while Nina sat bored at the table, picking at her already finished dessert. I barely said anything as I grabbed my things and walked out of the restaurant, ignoring the other patrons of the dining area and my friends' calls. I ran so quickly in my heels out I was surprised I didn't spark up flames in the process.

The valet took in my scary calm state and had Theo's car appear like magic right in front of me. I knew it was wrong, but I didn't care. I took his car keys and got in, shifting into gear, I only saw a glimpse of Theo just running out of the restaurant in the rearview mirror before disappearing onto the streets.

***

Everyone should steal a car once in their lifetime. I'm just kidding, please don't do that. But I couldn't help but enjoy the feeling of cruising down the streets in a stolen vehicle, releasing the tension of my thoughts. I had no idea where I was going to be honest, just driving and passing down the streets, houses and trees blurring in my peripheral vision.

My hand was clamped hard onto the steering, never daring to let go. 

Before I knew it, I was sitting idle in front of a house, a house I never thought I'd go to ever again, but here I was. I cut the engine immediately not wanting to draw attention to myself since it was the middle of the night and I was sitting creepily in this neighborhood. But I didn't make a move to undo my seatbelt. I sat there contemplating my decision.

Would Theo come after me? Where would he try to go to find me? Certainly not here.

I couldn't even take a second to stop myself from doing whatever it was I was attempting to do, but my legs had a mind of their own and stumbled over the rocks over to the left window on the side of the house. I picked up a random rock and threw it at the window, slightly illuminated by a TV or computer. Everything was so familiar, I couldn't believe it.

After a minute, the curtains were fully drawn back and a face appeared, confused.

"Cora?" Ben called out in a semi hushed tone.

"Um, yeah, hi," I said stupidly because what else are you supposed to say when you randomly show up at your ex-boyfriend's house in the middle of the night.

"What are you doing?"

Good question. "I don't know."

"You do realize there are things called cellphones that you could have used to just call me, right?"

I stayed silent. 

He sighed and closed the window. Within seconds, he was outside with me. After a minutes of contemplation, he enveloped me in a hug. It was comforting and it was familiar. He used to do that all the time when he knew I was upset, but it didn't make my spine shiver the way Theo's hugs did. We stood still against each other for a good full five minutes before he finally broke away. He led me to the porch swing in his backyard.