Chapter Four

Riley's POV ~ 

Niall and I stopped at McDonald's on our way back from Syco. Niall parked and we ambled into the fast food chain. "The usual?" Niall asked me. I nodded, a smile dancing across Niall's lips. The feeling arose again in the pit of my stomach. I tried to push it away as Niall ordered two chocolate milk shakes and large chips. As much as I tried, it wouldn't go away.

Niall paid the cashier and I grabbed our drinks and chips. We headed back out to the car, laughing. "I haven't had McDonald's in so long," I gushed.

"Oh, then, this needs to become a regular thing," Niall winked.

I stopped dead in my tracks. The feeling in my stomach was cause by Niall casually flirting. Did I like him? No, I couldn't. I must be getting my monthly gift from Mother Nature soon...

I slurped at my milkshake as Niall turned onto our street. He pulled into the car park of our flat building. We walked towards the lift, munching on chips. I dipped a few into my milkshake, savouring the taste.

Niall pressed our floor's button and we watched as the doors to the lift slowly closed. Niall started softly singing Summer Love.

"'Cause you were mine for the summer.  

Now we know it's nearly over 

Feels like snow in September 

But I always will remember 

You were my summer love 

You always will be my summer love."

I looked over at my best friend. "You miss Amanda, don't you?" I softly questioned as the lift reached our floor.

"No..." Niall trailed off. "I mean, I guess I miss what we had. I've been single for two months or so, but what we had was only for the summer, y'know? It'd be nice to fall in love with someone who didn't have to move away. Or someone who I know actually reciprocates the same feelings."

"Everyone wants that, Ni," I spoke softly, fumbling with my keyring. I found the flat key and shoved it in the knob, twisting anticlockwise. Pushing the door open, I finished my thought. "I thought Harry felt the same way I did, but his actions proved wrong."

"I apologise for his behaviour," Niall said softly.

"Why, Ni?" I questioned, touching his arm gently. The butterflies appeared again, at the worst possible time.

"If I had introduced you to Louis or Liam, you wouldn't be living with me, completely fucked in the head."

I laughed at his comment. "Ni, I was already fucked up before I started anything with Harry."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," Niall laughed. "So you excited for some studio time?"

"Yeah!" I squeaked. "I'm just worried people'll realise some of my songs are about Harry. Or more importantly, he'll realise that."

"Don't worry about him, Riley," Niall soothed, turning on the telly. "He'll get over it eventually. If he really cares about you, he'll clean up his act so if - and when - you give him another chance, he won't do the same things to hurt you."

"I don't think I can give him another chance though," I breathed. "He hurt me really badly, Ni. I wish I could say I walked away unscathed, but I didn't. Because of him, all of my future relationships are going to suck."

"Don't say that," Niall laughed, running his hand up and down my back. He pulled me into a side hug. "You always have me, remember that."

I smiled as he pressed a kiss to the top of my head. I accepted the butterflies as they flew around in my stomach. If I liked Niall, it would only be for a short while. He's in the hottest boy band after all; he'll find his perfect girl soon enough. I wasn't going to stand in the way of his soulmate search.

Niall's POV ~ 

Riley and I sat on the sofa for the rest of the afternoon, watching BBC documentaries and munching on chocolate milkshake covered chips. I couldn't have asked for a better best friend; I could confide in her for anything and everything.

Okay, everything except one thing. I usually told her who I fancied, but when I woke up one morning and realised I had a slight crush on my best friend, I knew I had to keep that part of my life private - even from the boys.

I realised the day of Riley and Harry's one year anniversary. Sure, it was hard watching my best mate date the girl I fancied, but I pushed it aside for the band and my friendship with Riley. I knew our friendship was too important to risk, and it still is.

I tried to hint at me fancying her in the lift ride, but I don't think she caught on. My stomach did somersaults as she leaned her head on my shoulder, yawning. I looked at my phone. 22:43.

"We should probably go to bed," I chuckled, turning my head to look at Riley.

She yawned before saying, "I'm down for that. I'm knackered."

"I can tell," I smiled. I went to stand up. "Here." I held out a hand and pulled her to her feet. I placed my hand on the small of her back and guided her to her bedroom. I ignored the butterflies attacking my insides as I pulled back the duvet on her bed and watched her crawl under the covers. I had the opportunity to see the girl I fancied at her most vulnerable state. I don't know if that makes me lucky or creepy...

I pondered that thought as I made my way towards my own room. As I crawled under my duvet, I decided it was easier to think of myself as her best friend, and not label myself as lucky or creepy.

AN:

sorry that it's kind of short, but yolo. so yeah. here's the second of two chapters. i love youuuuu c:

olivia xx