Chapter Twenty-Nine

Niall's POV ~  

Riley came running towards me, tears streaming down her face. She still had five songs to do, but I knew she wouldn't be able to regain composure.

I pulled her into a hug, kissing the top of her head as sobs racked her body. "Shh," I soothed. "It's okay, princess. I'm here. I'm not leaving. Don't cry baby." I rubbed her lower back, desperately trying to comfort her and not break down myself.

I managed to lock eyes with Liam and he started his way over. He pulled me and Riley into a hug and kissed the top of her head. "You don't have to go back out, love," Liam whispered. "The boys and I have got you covered."

"And I'm not leaving until you've calmed down," I murmured, catching Riley's gaze. I gently cupped her face and carefully kissed the tip of her nose. I felt like if I added anymore pressure, she'd crack like glass.

"Louis can sing your parts," Liam smiled at me.

"Louis can do what?" Louis asked, referring to himself in third person. Luckily, this caused Riley to chuckle a little.

"Sing my parts," I laughed, pulling Riley closer to me. "You lot are gonna finish up Riley's set."

"We'll start with Stand Up," Liam started. "Then we'll go to She's Not Afraid." I tuned out the last-minute set list, until Liam started snapping in my face. "Earth to Niall..."

"Sorry, what?"

"I said, you'll join us when we start our scheduled set, okay? Stay with Riley until she's alright. We'll find a way to tell the fans your backstage."

"Thanks, Li," Riley smiled tearily. "You're the best."

"Hey!" Zayn and Louis said in unison, mocking faux hurt. They clutched their chests dramatically, Louis even dropping to his knees for effect.

"You lot are a handful..." Harry rolled his eyes.

"Haaaaaaz!" Louis whined, grabbing at his chest yet again.

"Just get your arses out there," I laughed, rolling my eyes.

The boys grabbed their respective microphones and earpieces leaving mine untouched on the table. The boys ran out on stage, the fans screaming. Riley and I peeked out from the wings; surprise and confusion was written on a few faces, but the rest were full of excitement. I grabbed Riley's hand and pulled her towards the dressing rooms.

To Liam Payne 

Ri and I are back in the dressing rooms, so text me when you need me xx

Liam Payne  

Alright mate. See you in a few x

I hopped down onto a sofa and pulled Riley into my lap. She was still crying a little, so I kissed away her tears, making sure to softly tickle her sides.

"Niall... stop..." she giggled, breathless from laughter. "Please!"

I moved my fingers from her sides and gently caressed her face. "I'm so proud of you," I whispered against her lips. "Putting yourself out there is hard, but now everyone knows the real you."

I watched her eyes drop, then screw shut. "Not really..." she whispered so quietly I could've missed it easily.

"Riley...?" I questioned worriedly.

She kept her eyes closed as she spoke. "I swore I'd never speak of this, but because we promised no more secrets -"

"Riley, look at me," I begged. My grip on her hands tightened as her pure blue eyes locked with mine.