IX.III

It was two days later and I had already finished yours and Katherine's portraits. I worked in the drawing room, trying to finish John's so that I might finally make the final portrait of the three of you.

You sat beside Katherine on a red couch, and every once in a while I would catch you looking at me. When you noticed me glancing back, you would quickly pick up the book you were pretending to read.

"You mentioned something about Henry Tudor? I am afraid I don't know much about that situation."

You stilled, a strange look in your eyes. "Right. Actually, the reason my father isn't here right now is because he is fighting in the War of the Roses. Henry Tudor, who is of House Lancaster, wants the throne. He is being backed by the French as well, which is why I mentioned our family does not like the Valois family. My father is fighting by Bosworth. They have been warring for a while. I am a bit worried about him." The way you said you were worried threw me off a bit. Your tone didn't match the words themselves, as if you weren't really that worried for him. As if you were just saying that because you thought that is what you were supposed to say.

I continued with long brush strokes. John's body was complete, and all that was left was the background. "Tell me about your father."

A bitter look crossed Katherine's face, and a similar look spread across yours. Only John looked unaffected.

"To be honest, Father has not been the greatest ruler. He is very much a politician, and that was made clear from the beginning. After getting my cousins—Edward, Richard and Elizabeth—declared illegitimate, he locked Eddie and Richard up. Then they both disappeared and the people rioted, for they believed Father killed them."

John stood quickly, knocking over the stool on which he sat. "Georgiana, that is enough. Nobody knows if that is the truth and that is none of his business." At 17, John towered over you, as you, too, came to stand. You positioned yourself right in front of him. Katherine remained perched on the couch, eyes flicking between the two of you.

"Whether or not it is the case, it is the reason Father has lost so much support in recent years and you know that." Turning back to me, you smiled, flames from your anger at your brother dying out quickly.

"Anyways, Father lost even more support when some of his advisors began spreading rumors that Father wished to marry our cousin, Elizabeth, one of three people he sought to make illegitimate. She moved into the palace to stay with us, and whether or not it was really the case that Father was after her, it was at the time that Anne—our stepmother—was still ill, and this made him very unpopular." You frowned, clearly not having a great love for your father.

"Georgiana, leave it be. Father would never." Katherine finally came to stand next to you.

Her voice was quiet, but still made it clear that the discussion should come to an end. "John, either way, Elizabeth was sent away and we have not seen her since. Let us end this speculation and gossip and wash for supper. I must find William." I raised an eyebrow, unsure who William was.

You noticed, moving closer to me as your siblings left the room. "William is her husband. They were wed last year and she will be moving to live with him soon. She just stayed to finish her lessons." A look of sadness fell on your beautiful features.

I placed a soothing hand upon yours. You stared at it for a few seconds before a small smile spread across your face. As we made our way to wash up before dinner, we began to hear yelling.

"Your Highness! Your father has fallen. Henry Tudor will take the throne. We must get you out of here quickly!"

Your mouth formed an 'oh' as the air in your lungs left your body with a whoosh. Your eyes rolled into the back of your head, and I managed to catch you just before you hit the ground.