V.II

We marched for what felt like ages. Every time we came upon a new village, you gave a speech similar to the one you gave us, rallying your warriors around you as if they had known and loved you their whole lives.

When we had finally been through every village with any warriors, we began the journey back to your home. By this time I had made my way to the front of the throng of warriors, staying only a few feet behind your second in command. You kept calling her Thyri, and every time she noticed me near you she glared like I would cause you harm.

It had been three days and three nights, and while we had stopped to rest for a few hours here and there, our group was getting restless and hungry, both for food and blood.

We finally made it from the last village to your hillfort to feast. You let us know that you planned to leave the next morning to attack Sigtryg with your brother. I noticed that you hadn't eaten anything, and partway through the festivities and feasting, you stood and left, accompanied by twenty or thirty women warriors. I followed you, quietly entering the room and revealing myself only when you were in the middle of helping your people, righting wrongs that had nothing to do with you.

You were ferocious, yet kind. I watched you in your throne, saw as you granted wishes and favors to your people. I couldn't help but fall in love with your fire, but it was made all the better by the tenderness you showed to those that believed in you.

My back was up against a wooden column in your throne room, and I stood opposite your shield-maidens, who tensed collectively any time someone approached you too aggressively or got too close to you.

I noticed your second-in-command, Thyri, eyeing me from beside you. She was a rosy cheeked little thing, a couple years younger than you, I surmised. Every time someone got too close, she would step forward, hand on the hilt of her sword, ready to unsheathe it if she felt you were in any sort of danger.

It made sense that she kept looking at me, for most of the people had gone off to the hall to feast or to bed. Or, as Magnus so eloquently liked to say, they went off to ride the bull. I wasn't too interested in diving into the meaning of that one.

Tapestries of blue and red, the colors of your kingdom, hung above us like waves in a fjord. Animal hides and pelts lined the floor below your throne, which stood a few steps above, on its own platform along with your brother's throne.

You had opted out of wearing your armor. Instead, you had donned a dress that complimented the blue of your eyes, but your golden hair remained fashioned in the style of a true warrior.

As the last person waiting for your help thanked you and disappeared in the direction of the dining hall, you turned your eyes to me.

"Thyri, Skaði, Dagmær, you are all dismissed." Your eyes remained on me as you nodded for all of your warriors to leave the room. Thyri and Skaði exchanged an incredulous look, your rosy-cheeked second coming to stand next to you.

Finally, you removed your eyes from me, communicating something I didn't understand to Thyri. They walked out hesitantly, casting dark, guarded looks my way. As if I would do anything to hurt you, sweet willow.

"My apologies for Thyri. She is my niece and can be very protective." The look on my face must have shown the confusion I felt.

"Not by Halfdan. I have a half-brother by my late father. Olaf. He rules over his share of Vestfold, my father's kingdom. Thyri is his daughter. Her, Halfdan and I were all trained and groomed for the throne together." I was still a bit confused, but I nodded my head anyway.

"Why do I feel as if I know you?" My heart thumped loudly in my chest, attempting to take flight. Were you remembering?

"I am not sure. Perhaps we met in a past life."