-15

I didn't know where I was going, not at first.

I was just, walking, however as the city lights gave way to darkness and were then replaced by flickering strobe lights, I realized that all along my destination had been the circus and freak show.

I don't know how long I sat there, in the crowded tent watching limbless humans, people tall and small, strange creatures and bearded women parade before me,  before the lights went out with a snap.

The next thing I knew a spotlight appeared on the stage, pointing at a girl in a red and black costume, in a rather alarming backbend.

After several seconds I realized that it was Harley.

I was aware of trapeze artists flying through the air above her, however my eyes were glued to her. Widening with every move she made.

It was snake like, the way she bent and twisted, an almost creepy smile splitting her face.

I was in a trance, watching her in an almost hypnotic stare. So entranced was I by her that I didn't realize that the rest of the tent had cleared and the trapeze artists had stopped until Harley straightened up and bowed.

Rising to my feet, nearly knocking over my chair, I clapped loudly, but stopped abruptly, looking around in confusion, realizing that I was alone.

Smiling, Harley jumped down off the stage and flipping into a handstand walked over to me before standing upright once again.

"That was insane!" I breathed as she approached, "That was incredible, I've never seen anything like that before!"

"Thank you." She replied,  reaching up and running a hand down her face, smearing the pain which covered it.

"I wish I could do something like that." I continued.

"You could." She answered.

"I'm not very talented." I chuckled awkwardly, "Or coordinated, I trip walking up stairs."

Smirking, she reached out and ran a hand down my face, smearing her makeup onto me.

"What was that for?" I questioned.

Squinting, she stepped back and looked me up and down for a moment before lunging forward wordlessly and grabbing me by the hand.

Pulling me behind her, she led the way back stage to a small room. Pushing me down in a chair she picked up a can of white face paint and a brush.

"What are you doing?" I asked nervously.

"Shhh." She whispered, placing a finger over my lips, "I'm thinking."

I fell silent after that, waiting as she slathered on layers of pain.

"There." She said after a while.

Narrowing my eyes, I turned and looked at my reflection in the mirror. Immediately my eyes widened at my reflection. My face was white, my eyes outlined in black and my lips red.

"I look like a clown." I laughed.

"Exactly." She giggled, plopping down on my lap, making my heart hammer wildly in my chest, "You'll be perfect."

"What as a clown?"

She nodded.

"I can't." I said slowly, "Don't you guys travel?"

"Come with us." She coaxed, studying my reflection from my lap, in the mirror, "You belong here, I can tell, you're one of us."

"What a vagabond?"

"No." she giggled, "A freak."

Frowning slightly, I stared hard at my reflection.

"No my school." She sighed, "No more parents, or worries. No more real life. You can be whoever you want here, we'll be your family. You won't regret it. I promise."

Nervously, I licked my lips.

"Come on Michael." She whispered, "Get out of Gothem."

Licking my lips again, I opened my mouth to reply when the flap to the room opened and a shirtless, boy stepped in.

Startled, I turned around, my eyes widening at the sight of Ashton.

"Michael?" he questioned sounding confused.

"Ashton?" I mumbled.

"Yeah, hi." He chuckled, "What's up?"

Starting to panic, I hastily began wiping the pain off my face and onto my sleeve, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm a...you know...trapeze." He muttered.

Stopping dead in my tracks I felt a smirk tug at the corners of my mouth before a slightly manacle laugh left my lips.

"What?" Ashton asked.

"You!" I cried, doubling over and gripping my knees, "Oh do you wear the little tights and everything?"

"You know what fuck you." Ashton snapped, "At least I do something."

"Yes you do." I laughed, "You flip through the air in little tights."

"God, Michael you suck." Ashton snapped, "Go to hell."

"Oh I will." I laughed, "Trust me."