-16

"So, how was school?"

Looking up from my bowl of Raman noodles, I shrugged.

"Are you doing well in your classes?" Mom pressed.

"Nope." I replied, wiping my mouth on my sleeve.

"Michael." She sighed, "That's not good."

I shrugged.

"Michael you're going to need good grades to get into a good college." Mason informed me.

"Who said I want to go to college." I scoffed.

"You need to." Mason replied.

"Remind me who's older again?" I snapped.

"Michael." Mom warned.

"I'm just saying." Mason sighed, "Someone needs to take care of Mom, when I'm gone I obvio...."

"Don't talk like that." Mom snapped.

"It's reality." Mason said bluntly, "We're all going to die. I just happen to be dying a little prematurely."

Tears filling her eyes, Mom slammed her fork down on her plate and rose to her feet.

"Mom come on." Mason sighed.

"I have to go to work." She whispered.

I watched her go sympathetically, waiting until I heard the key turn in the lock behind before rounding on Mason.

"Nice going stupid." I spat.

"I'm trying to help her." He replied, "She's delusional."

"Why? Because she doesn't want to give up on you? I don't either."

"Why not? I'm dying."

"But you're not dead!"

"I will be! And what then? It hits you all at once like a ton of bricks? I don't want that!"

"No, I don't know.... If we stay positive or have hop...."

"Michael I am going to die. Hope won't do a damn thing but make it harder when I do. If you'd just accept the fact that I'm going, it won't be as bad."

"I don't want to think about it!"

"Neither do I but someone has to!"

"Why?"

"Because I'm scared Michael! I'm scared. Does dying hurt? What's going to happen to Mom, and you. Will I go to Heaven? Will you guys be able to afford a funeral! I don't want to think about this shit Mikey but no one else does and someone has to!"

My eyes filled with tears, I ducked as he threw his bowl at me, missing me by inches.

"Fuck." Mason whispered, his eyes widening at the sight of my tears, "Michael, I'm sorry."

"I wish it was me." I mumbled.

"Don't say that." Mason replied.

"I do." I said, sitting up, "I wish it was me."

"Michael." Mason breathed.

"I'm going out." I muttered rising to my feet

"Where?" Mason asked.

"Don't worry about it." I replied, grabbing my jacket and starting for the door.

Harley's Pov-

"Harley?"

Looking in the cracked, dirty mirror infront of me, I finished pulling my freshly dyed hair into pigtails on either side of my head.

"Harley?"

Giving them a swish, I reached for the lipstick infront of me, and smeared the black inky color on my lips.

"HARLEY!"

Rising to my feet, I turned back and forth infront of the mirror admiring the black and red, synthetic leather jumpsuit which clung to me tightly.

"Harley!"

Not taking my eyes from my reflection I watched as Harry burst into the room, his top hat askew.

"Hey." I greeted.

"What are you doing?" he demanded.

Shrugging I crossed over to him and standing on tiptoe, straightened out his hat.

"You were supposed to be on two minutes ago." He informed me.

"Is there actually an audience?" I laughed.

"We're sold out." He replied, "I told you Gothem would be a gold mine."

"Why?" I laughed, "They have an insane asylum, you'd think they'd have more than their fair share of freaks."

"Not like mine." Harry answered, straightening up.

Suddenly the flap off the circus tent leading to my room parted slightly. Frowning, I watched, waiting for someone to come through.

"What are you doing?" Harry demanded.

"There's someone there." I replied.

His brow furrowing, Harry crossed over to the entrance and ripped the flap open. Immediately a large smile split his face.

"What are you doing back here?" He chuckled.

Bending down he picked something up before rendering the room, the smallest girl in the world Tiny Tina, held in his strong arms.

"Were you eves dropping?" He chuckled.

"No Harry." She squeaked, shaking her tiny head from side to side, "I came to find Harley."

"You heard the girl Harley." Harry chuckled, "Get out there and put on a show they'll never forget."

Smirking I walker past him and listening to him following behind me, chatting conversationally with Tina, held in his arms, I walked out of the room and down the corridor to the main stage.

"Break a leg." Lester, an armless man greeted.

Smiling at him I took a deep breath before pushing back the curtain and stepping on stage.