𝑰𝑿.

CHAPTER NINEthe paper club
——— ⋆୨୧ ₊゚♡ ⊹ɞ ———

I HEARD SOMETHING LIGHTLY HIT MY WINDOW and i looked outside. there neil was, just like he had promised. for a very short amount of time, i thought that he might never show up.

but he did. so those thoughts didn't matter now.

i had contemplated climbing out of my window, but i figured the easiest way to sneak out was by quietly stepping down the stairs and making my way out the front door. john had gone to sleep a while before and i knew i would be able to sneak out without a problem.

i opened the door slowly and closed it behind me as quietly as i could, and we moved closer to each other.

"hi," i whispered quietly, hoping he wasn't annoyed at how long it had taken me to get out here. he smiled back at me and grabbed my hand to lead me to the cave. i had never done anything this rebellious, except buying cigarettes of course, so i felt the nervous twinge that something could possibly go wrong.

he held my hand a little tighter and smiled at me again.

we were walking through the forest for what felt like forever, when he quietly said, "we're here."

i thought about how far he had probably walked to meet up with me, and bit the inside of my cheek to stop thinking about it. now i was more nervous to meet, formally meet, his friends. he was still holding my hand and had a flashlight in the other. he led me into the cave, "watch your head," he warned quietly. i ducked down and now we were both in the cave. everyone looked at me and i felt like i would collapse from sheer embarrassment.

"hey everyone, this is faye," neil introduced me quickly. the boys sitting around the cave had stayed silent and neil and i both mutually dropped our held hands as i thought the others had noticed our entwined fingers. a few of the boys held out their hands and introduced themselves.

"steven meeks."

"i'm pitts."

"charlie dalton," the one i had bumped shoulders with in the hallway said with a smirk.

"so your keating's neice," he continued. i nodded, too afraid to speak. he looked away from me and acted like he hadn't just asked me anything. i stared at him as he began to play awful notes on his saxophone. i hadn't noticed the saxophone before.

"charlie," one of the guys mumbled in annoyance.

he fake coughed, standing in the center of the cave, looking around.

"gentlemen," he continued, ignoring me, "poetruic by charles dalton."

he played more bad notes, "laughing, crying, tumbling, mumbling. gotta do more, gotta be more."

more bad notes.

"chaos screaming, chaos dreaming, gotta do more, gotta be more!"

then, he played a nice tune. we all looked up at him, confused and intrigued.

he got really close to one of the boys who hadn't introduced himself to me. he looked upset, staring at the ground instead of charlie. he stopped, and we all clapped and cheered.

"that was great," neil said next to me, 'where'd you learn to play like that?"

"my parents made me take the clarinet for years," charlie continued, sitting back down in his previous spot.

"i love the clarient," a redhead sitting from the far left of neil and i said.

"i hated it," he replied, pointing at him. we laughed.

"the saxophone, the saxophone is more...sonorous."

"ooh, vocabulary," we all said, looking at charlie with grins.

"i can't take it anymore. if i don't have chris, i'm gonna kill myself," the sad one started, seeming to randomly stop staring at the ground.

"knoxious, you've got to calm down," charlie said.

"no, charlie. that's just my problem, i've been calm all my life. i'm gonna do something about it."

he turned, got up, and began to leave the cave. neil turned to me, then turned back quickly, "where you going? what are you gonna do?"

"i'm gonna call her." then he laughed, and left the cave. we all jumped up immediately to follow him. we grabbed our things and charlie started playing more terrible notes.

"faye?" neil said, i turned to him.

"this was fun," i said, smiling at him.

"sorry it was so short, but i'll call you tomorrow?"

i nodded, smiled at him, and started for home.

———
✉️: ꒰ 𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞𝐬 ꒱ؘ ࿐ ࿔*:・゚

small rant:

i'm sorry for literally not updating at all this like entire month. i got my phone taken away (i'm such a rebel err) so i have to do everything on my mother's ten year old computer (i can type 10x faster, but my internet is slow and i'm not used to the website). i though i had this chapter pre-written, but it was an entirely wrong part of the movie, so i had to rewrite the entire thing. this is super short and awful, so i'm sorry that you waiting so long for the worst chapter of the entire book. i'm going insane so thank you for reading and i will post a ton of pre-written chapters immediately after this! love you all! <3