Chapter Six: Harpreet, Saturday

Harpreet knew she would get a text from Naomi as soon as they were on the road home from the restaurant. Sure enough, her phone buzzed in her pocket, and she sighed in resignation and pulled it out, looking at the screen.

Naomi: Harpreet, WTF?

She typed: What?

Naomi: Don't play games. 

Naomi: You were holding hands with him. 

Naomi: It would have been less obvious if you'd left your hands under the table.

She must have been typing rapid fire. The only thing Harpreet could send in response was a shrug emoji.

Naomi: How could you do this?

Harpreet: Idk

Harpreet: I just wanted to know what it felt like to touch his hand. 

Harpreet: He could have pulled his away but he didn't.

Harpreet: If he sat next to you, you could have tried it.

And there was the crux of it, why her friend was so mad at her.

Naomi: Nice. I thought you were my friend.

Harpreet: I am.

Harpreet: I'm sorry.

Harpreet: I won't try anything else. 

Harpreet: I can't anyway. My parents won't let me. I bet I'll get the talk from my dad tonight.

Naomi: You think I can?

Naomi: My dad would kill me!

Naomi: He's like a son to him, more than Tosh is. He'd think it was weird.

Harpreet: Plus he's too old, they'll say.

Naomi: I know. FML.

Harpreet felt her stomach drop as soon as they pulled into their driveway and they exited the van.  Once they were in the house, almost before she'd even taken off her shoes, Dad said, "Honey, can we talk to you for a second?"

She wanted to sink into the floor. It looked like this was going to be a tag team match. Ajit smirked at her and said, "And you gave me grief for liking older women."

"That's not helpful, Ajit," Mom said. 

"Let's go to your room," Dad said.

She nodded and led the way upstairs, passing by Dadiji and Dadaji, her father's parents, who lived with them as was the tradition. After telling them about their night, they retreated to her room, and as soon as she was inside she turned to them and said, "I know what you're going to say."

"What are we going to say?" Mom asked, crossing her arms.

"Don't worry, I was embarrassed enough at the restaurant without you needing to tell me I shouldn't like Logan."

Mom huffed and said, "Honey, do you think you're the first girl to like an older guy?"

Harpreet blinked in surprise. "What are you saying?"

"I had my own crushes when I was your age, even though I ended up with your father, who's only a year older."

Harpreet frowned. "So, you don't disapprove?"

Dad chuckled. "We didn't say that, but what we want to do here is open a channel of communication. This is our first experience of our children having a crush, and we're feeling our way through as much as you are."