Chapter Twenty-Four: Harpreet, Thursday

What are you doing this weekend? Harpreet typed.

Hanging out with the guys, Logan typed back. Al and Rachel are taking Emma to that Bard on the Beach thing, so I have to associate with my own gender to stay out of trouble.

Oh, yeah, right, they talked about that last night.

I would have liked to see you, though.

Her heart began to race. She typed: Really?

Yeah. I can't forget that kiss you gave me.

Me neither. What about the one Naomi gave you?

It was too fast for me to assess.

Harpreet huffed in frustration and typed, You were supposed to say not as good.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

She barked a laugh.

He typed: So, what are you doing this weekend?

idk, nothing really.

There was a knock on her door. She put her phone face down and said, "Yes?"

"It's Mom. Can I come in?"

She sighed, sent a brb to Logan, put her phone face down and said, "Sure."

Mom stepped into her room and cleared her throat. "So, you kissed Logan yesterday?"

She gasped. "Where did you hear that?!"

Mom crossed her arms and said, "Remember when we told you we wanted you to communicate with us about this?"

She squirmed and asked, "Who told you?"

"Logan told Rachel and Al, and Al told your father, and he just called me. It's a good thing I'm not with a client today, so we can have a face to face talk about it."

She was stunned. "Logan told his parents?"

Mom nodded. "Yeah, and I'm actually impressed with his honesty. I think it's because he knows what kind of trouble he can get into if he does the wrong thing."

She shrugged. "It wasn't that big a deal. It happened really fast. First Naomi did it and then I did it because I didn't want to let her have the upper hand." She saw Mom's mouth drop and squirmed again. "It was just a quick peck on the lips. No tongue or anything."

Mom's face softened. "Honey, you had your first kiss. Was it something you really wanted to do, or was it just to one-up Naomi?"

"Of course I wanted to," she said. "I've wanted to for a while now."

Mom sat on the bed next to her and put a hand on her shoulder. "It's a good thing I'm talking to you and not Dad. His poor heart would be ripped out if he heard you say that."

Harpreet groaned and said, "I'm glad it's you too. I'm afraid he'd cry again."

"Well, you know how he is, with his history."

"I'm not his sister."

"You're his daughter, and that's even worse. He'd literally die if anything bad happened to you, you know that, right?"

She sighed. "Yeah." 

"So?" Mom asked.

Harpreet frowned. "So, what?"

"How was it?"

She reared back. "You're actually asking me that?"

"It's a big deal, your first kiss. You need to talk about it with someone, why not me?"