6. Rollers and waiting

Kate was terrified of what James had meant.
"Just wait."
JUST WAIT FOR WHAT.

Kate had tried to ask him in charms a couple days later. To pry the information out of him.
"Cmon, tell me please." Kate begged.
"Good things come to those who wait."
"Oh go fuck yourself."

Kate believed that James was getting some sadistic satisfaction out of tormenting her. It was driving her insane waiting for James to kick off their plan. The wait was irritating that he just flat out refused to tell her how he was going to announce it. Kate had seen his grandiose gestures to just try and convince Lily to go on a date with him.

"Why are you so happy at the minute?" Dorcas asked.
"I'm not any happier than usual." Kate stated.
"Yes you so are, you're so smiley." Alice butted in.
"Am not."
"Are too."

"I don't know what you mean, I'm not more or less smiley than usual."
"Yea sure, keep your secret Kate, we'll get it out of you soon." Dorcas said and pointed a finger at Kate accusingly.
Kate just rolled her eyes at her friends dramatic antics.
"There's nothing to get out of me!" Kate insists.

-

It had been 5 days since their talk in the kitchen and James still hadn't done anything. Kate was on the edge of her seat waiting for James's inciting incident to start their charade.

The group were at their usual spot on the long table and benches of the great hall.
Kate kept stealing glances at James in an attempt to try and see if she could find any hints in his expressions. Kate and James had caught eyes a couple times through the start of dinner. Blue met brown. She had to admit that James was incredibly attractive and it was no loss to why he was the most desirable bachelor at Hogwarts. He was also incredibly charming and charismatic. Definitely not the worse person to soon be in a fictitious relationship with.

"Who are you looking at with that look on your face?" Sirius asked and points his fork.
"What face?" Asked James.
"The face you have when a prank that we've done is about to happen. Did you plan a prank without us?" Sirius asked and brought up his hand over his heart accusingly.
"No, I haven't planned a prank without you." James said. "I wouldn't do such a thing."
"Then what have you planned?" Sirius asked.
"I haven't planned anything."
"Then why are you looking at someone?"
James's eyes flicked to her once more.
Sirius's head whipped around in an attempt to see what had captured his friends attention that morning.
"No way." Sirius said.
"No way what?" Remus asked.
"He's moved on from his previous Lily flower."

The boys almost choked on their food. Coughing and spluttering while looking at James in disbelief when he didn't go to deny it. They stared blankly at him on complete shock.
"You're over Lily? Like Lily Evans, Lily flower, the prettiest girl in the world?" Peter asked.
"Mhm, I've given up on her." He replied.

They were stunned into silence. James potter had given up on Lily. His Lily. The girl he had been pining after for years. Doing absolutely anything to talk to her in the corridors. The girl he had gotten countless detentions for. And he had just moved on. Given up. Said goodbye and now had stopped trying.

"Is that so hard to believe, I'm almost 17, going after a girl who doesn't even want me back." James said.
"I'm just wasting my time, I might as well just go after someone who actually wants to date me."
"Fair enough, happy for you mate." Sirius said.
"Yea, you deserve to have your feelings reciprocated." Remus added and Peter nodded in agreement. "So who's the new lucky girl who's caught your attention."
"You'll find out." James said cryptically.
"Prongs, you can't do that!"
"What!"
"You've got to tell us man!"
"What? I said you'll know soon, I've just got to make sure she's all for me."