10. Meetings and wolfsbane

Kate and James were sat in the kitchen for their meeting.
"Lily and Amos had an argument after the quidditch match. He was upset that she didn't dress up like I did, so I think you rattled him a bit." Kate told James.
"Really?" He said hopefully.
"I think we'll only have to go up to christmas maybe February." Kate smiled. "And then you and Lily can get together and get married and have babies." She continued.
"You think?" He asked.
"Yea, he'll fuck up eventually. When he does, you've got to be there and comfort her." Kate said.
He nodded and his face was glowing at the thought of being with Lily.

"What are you doing for christmas?" James asked.
"I haven't decided yet." Kate said. "Lily, Marlene, Alice and Dorcas are all going home. You?"
"I think me and Sirius-"
"Sirius and I."
"Are going to go home, same for Remus and Peter."
"Are we getting each other gifts?" Kate asked nervously.
"I don't see why not." He answered.
"I don't have a lot of money, so don't expect anything expensive." Kate said a blush on her cheeks.
"That's fine."

"Why do you like Lily so much?" Kate asked, genuinely curious about how this boy was absolutely infatuated with a girl who didn't like him back.
"She's perfect. The image of beauty. She's kind, smart, generous. She's like a breath of fresh air." He looked over Kates shoulder as he talked about all the things he likes about Lily.
"Wow." Kate let out a small breath. "I wish someone talked about me like that, you should write poems."

She stared at James as he continued to talk, he had stars in his eyes as he rambled on but Kate couldn't hear anything. His smile lit up the room. His neck flexed when he smiled especially big. It then occurred to her what had just happened and cut him off.

"Are we going to hogsmeade on the first trip or the second?" Kate asked.
"Is it ok if we go on the second one?" He said. "Me and the boys need to get more supplies."
"Of course." Kate smiled. "What is your guys next prank?"
James makes a zip motion over his lips.
"Come on."
"mmmmmm"
Kate leant over the table while giggling and 'unzipped' his lips.
"I've been sworn to secrecy."
"Alright alright, don't tell me." Kate said while rolling her eyes.

"What's it like to be fully immersed in a friend group?" Kate asked James with a furrowed brow.
"What do you mean?"
"Well it's a group of five. Odd numbers don't work, Lily and Marlene are closer and the same for Dorcas and Alice. I just follow them around." Kate said.
"It's mostly my fault, I didn't involve myself enough with them, but I love them, they're my best friends."

"Well me, Sirius, Remus and Peter met on the train. Then we got put as roommates and then the rest is history." James said.
"What are your parents like?" Kate rested her chin onto her hand as James started talking.
"My mum is the kindest women you'll ever meet, never judging and gives the best advice. My dad, he's the best at cooking and makes the best jokes." He said. "What about you?"
"Oh, I won't bother you with my pitiful story."
"No, really I don't mind." He said with a small smile.
"I knocked out my father and ran away."
"You, knocked out, your dad?"
"He slapped me first."
"Ah, well done then."

"On a lighter note." Kate moved the conversation away from her sad childhood. "We should probably go to dinner."
Kate got up and before the thought had crossed her mind, she had kissed him.
"Sorry, habit."

-

Kate was walking alone through the stone lined corridors.
Not many people were around, giving light conversation to the portraits that she passed.
She saw Remus at the end of the corridor and gave him a wave. He didn't wave back but was still walking down the corridor. That's when she noticed how sick he looked.

"Remus are you ok?" Kate asked, incredibly concerned.
"Mhm." He mumbled, his eyes puffy and sickly pale.
"Have you gone to the hospital wing?"
"No, I get unwell a lot."
Kate put the back of her hand up to his forehead.
"You're burning up, we're going to sit down."

Kate looped arms with him and found a window cill to sit in.
"So you get unwell a lot?" Kate asked.
"Yea, at least once a month." He said with a sniffle,
his body was shaking.
"Do you want my robe?" Kate asked and Remus shook his head. "Well I'm going to give it to you anyway." She said. Taking off her robe and draping it over his shoulders.
"Thank you." He croaked.
"Do you want me to make you some soup and bring it up to your dorm?"
"Really?" He asked, his voice barely audible.
"What's your favourite?" Kate asked while rubbing his shoulder.
"French onion." Remus whispered.
"Ok, go and get into bed and I'll be around an hour."

French onion soup was one of Kate's favourites to make and was making enough for James, Sirius and Peter too. While stirring in the white wine and beef stock, Kate looked up at the calendar above the stove that she had gifted the elves. November 30th. Full moon. Sick Remus. Werewolf. Moony.
Kate's mouth dropped open as she dropped the spoon into the soup.
"Holy shit!"

-

Kate knew that she probably shouldn't have brought the wolfsbane that she had gotten from some dodgy shop a while ago. However, it was already too late as she was right outside of their dormitory door.
"Hey Kate, Remus told us you'd be bring him soup." James said as he leant on the doorframe, looking down at her.
"Well surprise! I made enough for all of you." Kate said holding up the tray. "Can I come in?"

James moved out of the way of the door to let her through.
"Hello, I made soup." Kate announced to the boys. "French onion, with the little bread."
Scurrying over to Remus, Kate quickly have him his bowl of soup with a spoon.
"I also got you something else." Kate whispered. Not being sure if the boys knew,she snuck him the bottle as the boys were distracted getting their soup.

"Where the fuck did you get this?" Remus said in shock. "James did you tell her, did you!" He shouted.
"No, he didn't tell me anything. I figured it out myself." Kate said calmly.
"You can't tell anyone Kate." James grabbed her shoulders and spun her around.
"Glad you told me, I was going to shout it from the astronomy tower." Kate said sarcastically with a pursed lip with a hand on her hip. "Shut up and eat your soup and I want some."

Now they were sat in an awkward silence, slurping on their soup, sat on the edge of James bed.
"I'm a potion hoarder." Kate blurted out. "I collect all kind of potions, that's how I got the wolfsbane."
"Thank you." Remus muttered. "It's good soup."
"Like really good soup." Peter added.
"Should we just tell her everything?" Sirius asked.
"That you're animagi?" Kate said. "I figured that out too, the nicknames."
"Your girlfriends really smart Prongs." Sirius shrugged. "And extremely pretty, can I have her?"
"No, and she's not something 'to have'." James glared at Sirius and wrapped his arm around Kate and pulled her in.

James looked down at in appreciation as they shared their bowl of soup. The way the little fly aways framed her face, as her hair was in two plaits once again, probably because she was cooking, he thought. Her face flushed pink from the compliment from Sirius. The little freckles that danced across her cheeks and nose significantly more noticeable when he was closer. Sirius was right, she was beautiful.

"I'll leave you guys to your lonesome." Kate said, feeling it was time for her departure.
"Thanks for the soup." Peter said.
"No problem."
Kate gave James a kiss on his forehead as she stood up to leave.
"Bye guys, bye James." Kate smiled as she opened the door.
"Bye love."